Sniper in the ground....

Here is a quick video of my pup Sniper in the ground working a Armadillo, he is still a bit young but he loves to hunt. We try to stay safe and keep away from known racoon hangouts. So just Armadillos for practice at the moment. Hope you guys enjoy! the "TEXICAN".

Lol.... We just happen to have an abundance of them here in Texas they actually work out great for young dogs because there is no fight, & their tunnel system is pretty good. As you can tell in the very begining of the video I dont own a transmitter collar so its just the ol listen & dig method. The Armadillo kept pushing forward hence the fact I dug a billion holes! Thank God the tubes are not 20 meters deep like over on yalls side of the world I would have a freakn heart attack. These were only about 2.5 - 3 ft deep.

I hear that it is, I guess it is not too common I dont know of anyone personally who has caught it. I try to wear gloves when I remember & always make sure to wash up real good when I return home. Good point tho Im gonna have to do some more research on the issue.

• Like 1

Just did a quick read, it is transmitted by Armadillos about 20% of them carry it. It is believed to be caught by those who handle the raw flesh or eat the meat. But it also cautions handling them in general. SCARY news is that the disease can live in dark moist soil for up to 4 weeks and is spread to rabbits, mice and other ground dwelling animals!!! So wear gloves & wash well. Now if we can find out how it affects the dogs.

Just did a quick search Tex,found this...

Nine-banded armadillos, of which there are 30 to 50 million in the southeastern U.S., are believed to be the only significant natural reservoir of leprosy apart from humans. (A few cases have been found in chimps and mangabey monkeys in Africa.) How the armadillos got leprosy in the first place is unknown. I do not believe that a dog is able to contract leprosy. I know that the incubation period is about three to five years but signs and symptoms can take as long as 20 years to appear.

I guess Sniper is safe.

They can move some dirt plus their shell is hard and round so when they hunker down the only place to grab is the tail or the head but thats usually at the other end....lol. Their bellys are soft but in all they are hard for the dog to hold. You can hear the crunching noise in the video, thats my pup grinding his teeth on the shell. The armadillo only came out with a bit shorter tail and his shell pretty scratched up. Like I said not much of a challenge as far as fighting but a great animal for digging practice for me & the young sniper!

• 2 weeks later...

The armadillo shell is not that hard its actually flesh thats a little tougher. Maybe about as tough as a pineapples skin. The tail is a bit tougher since it is mostly bone covered with a harder scaley type skin. I have not personaly had my dog damage his teeth on one I dont see it being an issue a dogs teeth should be plenty strong to handle an armadillo shell. Its the bone to bone contact that will bust teeth.