young lab that runs in help!

i have a young lab she has a brilliant nose and works well but she just can't resist to run in on a retrieve, she doesn't chase live game (rabbits, hares, etc) but if a shot bird falls were she can see it she wants it!

i know its my fault not hers because i have done too much with her when she was young, but does any one have any advice? she listen's to the whistle but if she picks up the sent of a shot bird she stops listening. cheers.

yeh that is the obvious answer but when you need to work her on a rough day it ain't exactly practical....

She's not ready for work!. Keep her on a lead until she can be totally trusted off it and don't even think of letting her into a working situation . Go right back to square one training . .Might take a few months or even a couple of years but rather that than rush her into the field and have her be a pain in the arse for the rest of her "working" life. Good luck and patience Grasshopper.

Ah, now you didn't say ROUGH work in your original post did you?

However, my advise is still the same! You're moving to quickly and your dog isn't ready. If you go rough shooting with a friend then leave your gun at home and just concentrate on your dog. Keep it on the lead and maintain your control over it, with time it'll learn and you can loosen the lead and eventually dispense with it altogether. Personally I like to see my dog work well more than I like shooting but if you're not prepared to sacrifice a few trips out with your gun then your dog will never get any better.

Put the time and effort into training and your dog will eventually repay you with years of loyal, well-behaved, service.

Good luck!

What age is she ?,stop giving her retrieves,get her back to basics,sit her up throw dummies around her pick them yourself,concentrate on her heel work,make sure she doesnt break from heel,when you start to become happy with her steadiness to thrown dummies and heel work,get her out with some friends walk her at heel and get your friends to throw dummies tennis balls etc from either side of you with them crossing over in front,if all goes well get her back out on a shoot and leave your gun at home and concentrate on keeping her steady.

When you are happy enough with her give her one or two retrieves on birds,but try and pick some of them yourself.

• 2 months later...

like has been saidtakethe dog back to basics for a few months concentrating on that specific problem and you will sort it mate just dont be in too much of a hurry plenty of play time is a must as well

Try walking alongside someone else thats shooting so you are in full control of the dog and not shooting, As the shot is fired/bird drops be ready to get hold of the dog and either pick the bird up yourself with the dog sitting or get someone else to pick it or another dog so your dog get in to the habit of not getting everything!!..............Repeat as necessary!!!

Or as Comanche says....Back to the drawing board and start some of his/her obedience again.

ATB!!

Edited by Sako.243