springer spaniel help

ive got a bitch springer shes just over a year old now just started training to work hedge rows some times shell go in and work the hedge to a reasonable standerd was wondering if [NO TEXT TALK] could give me help as to get her working the heges better i only stated training bout 2 mounths ago and she has come on great since then but finding it hard to push her to work the heges were im showing her any advice would be great thanxzpost-36666-0-59521900-1319295337.jpg

To be fair training should have started at about 6 months, what have you done so far with her?

ultimatley what are you going to use her for?

there is not set rules to training specifics but she needs to understand directional instructions from you either visual or sound signals.

There is an element of in bred instinct and if shes keen to run hedge rows and the like time and confidance will be a factor

she will be used for flushing to lurchers and i make xse xse noise to her a point with erither my left or right arm towards the hedge i want her to work some times shell go in but then other times she will just stand by the entrance oh the hendge looking at me wagging her stump so i repeat the command that i want her 2 do and she doesnt respond to it

Sounds like you have laid down firm signals! so would put it down to age and experience.

its a fine line of how many times to give a command before they will bet bored and start to ignore your commands.

If you think that's happening call them to heel and restart the command.

okays i will try that i was out this morning with her doing more trainig work but dont seem to be budging from were i am to be honest i will try calling her back and re trying it if she starts messing around do u think it will be a good idea to put her on lead for 10 mins then try again thankz

I would not worry, don't expect her to work the hedge if there is nothing in there. She will go in if there is. Also i find it helps to work them with an experienced dog. Make it fun for her, she will give you more back and work harder. ATB Steve

P.S there is no such thing as a bad dog

Most springers you will tend to notice tend to work better or at least i have seen after about 20 mins of work,

they are very excitable when only training and need to vent of some energy, So i'd also suggest you give the excercise first,

a good run around,

Most people expect too much from their dogs without putting the time in on training, The dog is only young but should have a good basic skill

set already under it, such as stop, stay, ranging, and coming to heel,

Hope this helps,

snap.

Run the dog on his own with no distrations and bring the springer where there are lots of rabbits and plenty of cover. nothing gets aspringers blood up like rabbits and i know that trialing lads all keep rabbit pens with cver in them to get the springers used to hitting cover after plenty of scent. i myself train my springers on rabbits near cover and i use mine fro rough shooting, plus i train springers during the summer as a hobby. do this for a few weeks and you should see a very notable diference in your dog. But try keep him tight at the same time. Nothing as bad as a unruly springer.

the dog sounds like its intelligent, you need really gamey ground, I can assure you if game is in there the dog will hit the cover hard, if not the dog is unlikely to hit cover for the sake of it... some will but its not necessary..enjoy the dog, and don't pt too much pressure on it, they know better then us, their nose will lead them to game