No, I'm not talking about mother in law this time... Am I wasting my time going after bunnies during the day? I've only bagged one in four outings, so I guess so. Anyone else have a different take on it? Also, once I've announced my presence to them by firing the boom-stick, how long does it normally take for them to relax and come back out of the warrens?

Cheers

John

john it depends on the hunting area if its just sets then you won't get a lot, if its hedge rows you may be able to get a few more if its windy with rabbits sheltering behind hedges and the wind taken the sound of the shot away to have a day shooting a good bag then working spanials over a good size ground with lots of rough areas and reeds white grasses etc is hard to beat .or you could bolt the rabbits with ferrets or even try stinking them out.lots of ways to control these pests as i say it realy depends on location a.t.b.

There are loads in warrens in hegderows. I'm shooting on a relatively small area, so my choice of approach is limited- open flat field with wind seemingly always against me. I don't have permission for the other side of the hegderow. Really frustrating because i can usually see about ten rabbits as I approach. I'll manage to get one shot off and that's it. What do you use to stink them out?

Edited by gibspoon

push them out with ferrets then newspaper soaked with diesel down the hole kept them above ground for a few days used to work for us might be better just to bolt them if you'v got a pal with ferrets

Lamping tends to be far more successful after the height of summer- they tend to get more nocturnal.

You'll see the odd 1 or 2 out during sunny days but mostly they feed at night now.

So its either lamping with air rifle or rimfire, or ferreting really.

ATB

Duncan.