Focus points? I think my 5Dmk2 also has 9... I tend to use just the one ;)

:thumbs: The number of AF zones is largely irrelevant - what you get for your penny with the top end cameras is better colour depth, better textures and less noise at higher ISO's.

Having said that - the 5DmkII is a complete gamechanger - it doesn't have the colour depth of the DSmkIII (24-bit vs. the '5's 22-bit) but the textures are phenomenal and the low light performance is superior. It's also got the DIGIC4 processor and the best screen on any camera I've used yet.

Only reason I haven't shifted my DS's on for them is that they don't have dual card slots and most of my work is weddings so that redundancy is really comforting to have (despite the fact that there's no shortage of folk who will argue, and probably correctly so, that it's unnecessary these day - I'd still rather look at it than for it).

McTuttle's also correct about the JPEG thing - anything shot by a journo is going into either a tabloid or a broadsheet in any case so the quality is gonna take a massive hit in the printing, hence anything else is just extra effort for no return.

As regards adjustment - there's nothing wrong with playing with the tone of a photo, I have a serious beef with compositions though - once you start compositing, it stops being a photo and becomes an art piece. Defined as such, all's well - I dislike compositions passed off as photographs though. Ben Heine is a great example of how powerful imagination combined with composition can be - one of my favourite photographic artists right now. Take a look for yourselves if you like - Pencil vs. Camera

• Like 1

I've seen Ben Heine's work before . . .. exceptional!........ and for me completely defines the difference between photographic art, and photography. A very current expression of 2 mediums being used to create stunning art pieces. :victory:

I use photoshop every day, but for minimal alterations ............ IMO using editing software to dictate the "imagination" of the images, makes for a very lazy and very amateur photographer ........... Photography for me is being able to look through your lens and create the shot you desire, work your camera to achieve the shot you desire . . . not take a random snap then edit the arse out of it in photoshop, and pass it off as a masterpiece. :icon_eek: Any monkey can over edit pictures, anybody with a deep understanding of photography can see through them in a heart beat. Photography is an art form, and creativity and expression are the very soul of it, you can't learn that from google. ;)

• Like 1

shane the body you have is more than sufficient to be able to get very pleasing photos , not sure what lens you use , but i would invest in better lens rather than upgrade the body .edit some imagination into the pics you have already taken , i doubt the f1 chappy took images from camera to pc without editing them

"Edit some imagination into the pics you have already taken" .................. And that statement there is all that is wrong with the digital photography world right now. :icon_eek:

Dont know shite about photography myself but I do know about images, and the above statement rings true to me.......you either have an eye for a killer image of you dont, it cant be atificially created on a MAC :thumbs:

• Like 1

There are some who would argue that photography simply isn't "art", photoshopped or not...

I think that in the future we will be seeing less photography and even more "digital art". :( I used to enjoy creating composite images, but do less and less of it these days - mainly because there are many out there that have much better PS skills than I do... :no: I still have a few rolls of film in the fridge, and one day I will stick them in my old film cameras and discover just how much I have forgotten about "real" photography... No AF, having to set speed and aperture manually, no burst mode on the shutter, and having to work with whatever film speed is in the camera... and only 36 chances to get it right! It's going to be a revelation :icon_eek:

It would probably be a good idea if everyone started out with a film camera so that they learned how to use the light, rather than trying to create it in photoshop...

For anyone interested in superb photography, some photoshopped, some not, which is probably very close to art, have a look here - http://1x.com/photos

• Like 1

There are some who would argue that photography simply isn't "art", photoshopped or not...

I think that in the future we will be seeing less photography and even more "digital art". :( I used to enjoy creating composite images, but do less and less of it these days - mainly because there are many out there that have much better PS skills than I do... :no: I still have a few rolls of film in the fridge, and one day I will stick them in my old film cameras and discover just how much I have forgotten about "real" photography... No AF, having to set speed and aperture manually, no burst mode on the shutter, and having to work with whatever film speed is in the camera... and only 36 chances to get it right! It's going to be a revelation :icon_eek:

It would probably be a good idea if everyone started out with a film camera so that they learned how to use the light, rather than trying to create it in photoshop...

For anyone interested in superb photography, some photoshopped, some not, which is probably very close to art, have a look here - http://1x.com/photos

Spot on . . .. i still use film, every once in a while i feel the need to realign my photography skills and get out with my old SLR to get back to basics. :thumbs:

Just think, all the most iconic images of the 20th century are mostly B/W shot on film........so with millions of people having access to digital photography equipment now days, you would think the world would be awash with iconic images but the fact is, its not!

To me, these things are in the eye of the person who really can see the image in their minds eye, the camera is just equipment to capture it with.

jmho