How do you do your, DOGING-IN.

Well if you know the place then you'll know there early escape routes. You just have to be there at first light if they are persistently trying to wander at certain areas. I'd image your poults are very near shooting age if not all ready so they will have there routes by now. You have spaniels right?.... Work the dog in really close and walk the birds back to the direction you want them going in......dont have the dog of the lead and let it go charging in to bunches of birds and have them flying off in all directions. Turn up and walk them back slow, clap your hands and get them moving, you can work the dog steady around your feet.

Once you have been doing this for a number of weeks the birds will get used to you arriving and generally leg it back towards home, once the poults are strong enough you can have the dog work them a bit harder and they will fly back instead of walking.

One of the pains in the arse of the keepering world i'm afraid.........I take it you have been dogging in over the last few months?

:thumbs:

Well if you know the place then you'll know there early escape routes. You just have to be there at first light if they are persistently trying to wander at certain areas. I'd image your poults are very near shooting age if not all ready so they will have there routes by now. You have spaniels right?.... Work the dog in really close and walk the birds back to the direction you want them going in......dont have the dog of the lead and let it go charging in to bunches of birds and have them flying off in all directions. Turn up and walk them back slow, clap your hands and get them moving, you can work the dog steady around your feet.

Once you have been doing this for a number of weeks the birds will get used to you arriving and generally leg it back towards home, once the poults are strong enough you can have the dog work them a bit harder and they will fly back instead of walking.

One of the pains in the arse of the keepering world i'm afraid.........I take it you have been dogging in over the last few months?

Just this week mate.The birds are fine where they are at the min.they are not going to far but they are getting a bit more independant.

Just this week mate.The birds are fine where they are at the min.they are not going to far but they are getting a bit more independant.

What age are they now????

19 weeks now i think mate.

And there just starting too wander.? You've had it easy then...... :D

And there just starting too wander.? You've had it easy then...... :D

you could say that mate lol.they run between three drives before they reach the road and next doors land.

Ricky Springer, off this forum is coming to give me a hand.

I do mine before I start feeding...........Take the dogs while I am feeding.................then again after I have fed.................

and any other time of day I have spare!.

This late cropping has done me NO favours at all this year. They hit the tramlines and kept going! Now that its cut (most of it)I have them running and flying up the sides of the fields looking for the crop and cover that isnt there anymore!!

B***dy nightmare !