Best way to keep weight on a working dog ?

Cheers Bulldoug ;) You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. When i get my SBT in what i call ' Good shape ' she looks great ( Imo ) but doesn't perform at her best. She needs to carry a little weight to burn off and by the end of the day / night / weekend whatever i'm doing she looks skinny ? Maybe its all in their Gene's and there's nothing i can really do to improve their shape ? But that's a whole other topic :laugh:

Anyhow here are the pics as promised. I don't think they're in bad shape but i'm just starting a 6 week training and fitness ' keep ' with them and asked the original question to see if i can aid it in any way :bye:

DSC_6287.jpg

DSC_6288.jpg

DSC_6306.jpg

DSC_6302.jpg

DSC_6303.jpg

DSC_6304.jpg

DSC_6300.jpg

DSC_6309.jpg

It doesn't show in the pic's like i'd of hoped but you can see and feel the pins on my brindle bitch, my SBT is a little light around the middle, the boy doesn't have too much more to take off. IMO :hmm:

"Looking good" and in "Capable condition" are two different things. Getting a dog to perform at its optimum weight and ability can be a science in its own. Seen dogs look the part, but blow hot very quickly.

"When i get my SBT in what i call ' Good shape ' she looks great ( Imo ) but doesn't perform at her best" - case in hand.

Horses for courses , i wouldn't have a lab to run bunnies, use the right tools for the job in hand. Not saying your staffords are wrong for the job, but only expect the best from their limited capabilities in their not so chosen field.

Dont over cook your dogs, it could go against all your hard work. A stale dog is as bad as an unfit dog.

Your dogs look in fine fettle all the same. :yes:

I THINK THE DOGS LOOK GREAT AND WOULDNT WANT ANY EXTRA WEIGHT PERSONALLY, THEY HAVE GOOD MUSCLE DEFENITION (YOU WOULDNT GET THIS ON AN UNDER FED DOG. )

ITS ALL ABOUT KEEPIUNG THE MACHINE OILED NOW AND LIKE HAS BEEN SAID, ITS EASY TO BURN OUT BEFORE THE SHOW SO IMO I WOULD JUST ENJOY YOUR SEASON NOW AND BE LUCKY :thumbs:

I LIKE THE CAMMO COLLAR ALSO, MUCH BETTER THAN THE PINK ONE :laugh:

ATB MATE, GREAT LOOKING DOGS, YOUR OBVIOUSLY DOING SOMTHING RIGHT

D

Cheers AFT :notworthy: I've not done anything with them really just an hour of free running / hunting for the last couple of weeks. Pretty much every 3rd day they do nothing apart from sleep and lounge about the house. Hence i asked the original question about keeping weight on, i don't want them too thin :good: