Transporting airguns to and from your permission ???

I was told by a friend that transporting my air rifle in its slip is now illegal unless you in a car ? but with my bike being my only transport now I dont have much choice he said the law came about at same time the recent one about having suitable lock ups or a place to store it where children cant get at it well as for indoors its safely away from my kids and locked away but as for the transporting I think my friend trying to wind me up as I see people walking along the road with airguns in slips etc so long as its in a slip/ gunbag and not loaded...........

If Im wrong or missing something please put me right .....Cheers Deano :thumbs:

Edited by deanothehunter

hi deano

Transporting airguns

Airguns must always be transported in securely-fastened cases that do not permit the airgun to be fired whilst in the case. Since the implementation of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act, 2003, airgunners between 14 and 18 years of age are no longer allowed to transport an airgun to the venues at which they shoot. These shooters must be accompanied and supervised by someone of 21 years or above. Remember, too, that it is now illegal to have an airgun – loaded or not – in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. This restriction applies to all airguns, even those that are being carried in securely-fastened gun cases.

As with all airgun laws, the responsibility lies with the user and

the potential penalties are extremely severe. You must therefore make it a priority to learn and understand these laws as they apply to you and your shooting.

ALSO LOOK HERE!

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm

Davy

Cheers mate, I do keep up to date with current airgun laws etc every now and then as new laws and things can change at any time, but I dont even like to ride with gun in bag slung over my back incase I come off the gun will bend :laugh: I now carry it in its case action only and stock in seperate bag I then fold the front tapered section of the bag back on its self so it looks more like a 3 or 4 section fishing rod case and this along with stock in seperate bag are bound onto bike with bungee straps completely protected by padded fleecy cases and then I look like Im off fishing more than shooting along with a small rucksack on so its safe cannot be fired as needs to be in stock to be fired as cocking linkage needs to run along a track in stock with a small plastic roller thats fitted, so if you try to cock without stock the linkage bends at its pivot points barrel breaks but piston is not drawn back as like I say the stock track only allows cocking.

This is good transportation for me as the bike has weight I dont :laugh: and it takes 2 mins to put 3 screws back in when I arrive at my permissions and have never had my scope go off zero ever either :thumbs: ...and yes I always have the 3 screws with me and I double check several times before I pass through front door on my way out and always carry a small tool pack inc allen keys, mini screwdriver and bits and pellets, insurance documents ID card permission in writing papers and my partners number and details for emergency and always have a fully charged mobile as well as a fully charged spare battery for it also and food and drink so I think I pretty much have it covered....and some say Im too organised but I say you can never over organise any trip or day out :laugh: Oh and small freezer bags and carriers for rabbits or pigeon breasts I take out in woods save on mess at home and feeds foxes too, a small knife , toilet roll... ah you get the idea as my list goes on and on and thats without the bits inside my saddle bag lol but thats another story and far too much to list .

Edited by deanothehunter

One of the advantages of having a permission on a large estate is that I can walk on the public roads that run through it with all my gear and a rifle/airgun/shotgun and no-one bats an eyelid. Except the rabbits I'm trying to shoot, they seem to be bothered by the sight of me !

On another that I walk from my house to, rifle goes in a case and the case goes in a hedge when I get onto the land. Only problem with doing that is I have been known to drive to one end of the farm at the start of my session, then try to walk home from the other end when I'm finished, totally forgetting that the car and case are a mile away and I'm wondering who's nicked my gear !