i have to say ive never heard of a dogo attack, let alone known someone who experienced it. i know people who have been attacked by; goldies, labs, gsd's, pointers, the list goes on ~ my point is that the ban in place is biast, unjust, and completely lacking in any sort of sense. thanks for the info and pics guys ;)

just thought id add as a sidenote, have any of you encountered an ambull hunting?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In England? Yeah, my pal has one. Great nose on it and good stamina. There's a few lads with them and the crosses in Oz now. There's some pure ones on Boardogs classified pages for sale

sounds like a useful dog for bigger quarry, not really ideally suited to british quarry though? i know sod all about them so any info would be good. as far as i can see there are two main varieties; scott lines(performance) and the johnson type which im led to beleive is a bigger, heavier sort.

i have a ambull, great pet but not much in the hunting department, my boxer has more game sense. macks a 52kg white lump of useless, i got him after my dogo and expected great thing from him but he never had the urge and his size made him noisy and slow in the bush, he's johnsonx scott.

i have a ambull, great pet but not much in the hunting department, my boxer has more game sense. macks a 52kg white lump of useless, i got him after my dogo and expected great thing from him but he never had the urge and his size made him noisy and slow in the bush, he's johnsonx scott.

ive heard alot of mixed opinions about this breed, some swear by them and others dont seem to like them much. kiwi; was yours from a hunting background? im led to beleive that the scott lines are the hunters and the johnsons the heavy, slower type. have you any pictures of your boxer? as far as ive found im one of the rare few who work a boxer, in the uk anyway. is an am bull much bigger than a dogo?

edited too add, hows that airedale pup you got a while back going?

Edited by lampinglurcher

jess found her voice on the hunt and is now living down the south island :angry: yes the scott or standard ambull is the hunting lines, but they don't actually do the hunting on hogs, they are walked on leads til the finders/strike dogs do there job and are released to hold the boar then, so they haven't got that natural hunting urge or no more than a normal dog at least. the dogo is taller and more mobile than the ambull, sort of like a great dane compared to a bullmastiff, and unlike the ambull the dogo does the whole job, finds bails and holds. here's jade anywayweekold026.jpg

a nice looking boxer you've got yourself mate. shame about the pup though eh? i think three different types of boxer are starting to emerge, maybe its just me but im starting to notice a difference between hunting strains, schutzhund strains and show strains. mine is a shtzhund bred dog, he has a very deep chest, massive jumping ability but unfortunately a slightly undershot jaw. hes got good hunting ability, but also good fighting ability whcich he likes to flaunt! mines also a slighter build by the looks of it. IMO the show strains are all bollocks! is it just me or has your boxer got a MASSIVE neck?!

Guest kaiserremy

lamping lurcher generally the johnson ( bully) ab's have less prey drive and are often not agile enpugh or have enough wind!there is a huge difference in lines both physically and mentally!

i have american bulldogs one with phenominal prey drive she is performance bred!

one bully male who has medium to good prey drive and a bully bred female who has low prey drive

as stated scott ''type'' dogs are the best for boar hunting personally if i wanted a boar hunter id go for a leclerc bred dog!

there are many lines of ab with different characteristics and looks

theres a website called ''true grit v2007'' that is about ab's and terriers alot of the ppl on that forum have hog hunting strains of ab's and they consider them to be better than dogo's personally i cant comment as ive never participated in the sport. hopefully one day i will though!

american bulldogs can get titles to say what they can catch cd ''catch dog'' 1, 2 ,3 and utility catch dog 3

cd3 being the harder of the cd titles meaning the hunt goes on for longer into thicker woods without a cut vest etc which is a testament to the dogs skill

and the ucd 3 title means the dog can work wild cattle aswell as boar!

some of the titles gained by american bulldogs include sch3 and mondio ring 2, french ring 3 and weight pull records aswell as the hunting titles

at the moment the breed is very versatile and can be utilized for many situations

and the range of type is huge

thats why i like them so much B)

Edited by kaiserremy

as a purebred they have been tried and found wanting shane, plenty been used in oz and in breeding x breds.

like most american breeds the yanks think they have the best breeds in the world, the dogo is a world apart and the boardog el primo, i have owned both breeds.

yeah l/l jades built quite well and has plenty of go, not great in the brain department as she tries to lord it over my gwp's and comes off second best everytime, she has been on a few pigs and has no fear in that department, always got her noise to the ground and will back up when the wires point anything, i call her my gsp, german shortnose pointer :laugh: just to confuse ya she is from the top show kennel in nz :hmm:

Guest kaiserremy

they've been tried and found wanting :hmm:

that seems strange to me as alot of ab's skill is proven by the titles they can get!!

maybe the specific dog was no good for pig hunting i know if i want a pig hunter i wouldnt get a dog thats been bred for sch or vice versa!!

do you know what lines were tested kiwi?

kaiserremy titles and any sort of americam testing don't mean stuff all in the real world of pighunting, the americans have this thing with pinning medals and titles on both gundogs and hog dogs, thats fine for the states but don't mean much to us down under and is not going to help the dog catch a pig any faster or hold any cleaner.

i have alot of time for the ambull but i and alot of other guys over here have seen it's short comings, for a holding dog they are great but who wants to walk a dog on a lead in heavy bush. we hunt a little different here, and the only testing we do is on the hill.

as a purebred they have been tried and found wanting shane, plenty been used in oz and in breeding x breds.

like most american breeds the yanks think they have the best breeds in the world, the dogo is a world apart and the boardog el primo, i have owned both breeds.

yeah l/l jades built quite well and has plenty of go, not great in the brain department as she tries to lord it over my gwp's and comes off second best everytime, she has been on a few pigs and has no fear in that department, always got her noise to the ground and will back up when the wires point anything, i call her my gsp, german shortnose pointer :laugh: just to confuse ya she is from the top show kennel in nz :hmm:

bollocks! thats pissed all over my theory then!!! :icon_redface: "not much in the brain department" - sounds like a boxer! mines got nowt between his ears and would go all day if i let him! your boxer comes off worse after a session with a gwp? i had no idea they were that hard, mine got into a fight with a local gwp and gave it a good hiding. i suppose its a working/not working thing as the only test this animal gets is a ball being thrown a few times. your gsp? mines just a regular UB - ugly b*****d!

kaiserremy; are you british? it could be that the strains in different countries differ in size and mentality. have you any pics mate?