With the increasingly more stringent demands for better hygiene procedures in the handling of all game, not just on a commercial scale but also on the personal consumption level as well. I'm interested to find out what you all use and what you use to meet the best practice guidelines and FSA recommendations required to address the following potential threats Weils Disease, Pasteurella Multocida, Clostridium Difficile, Bird Flu, TB, Typhoid, Hepatitis B, Lymes Disease, MRSA, Bacterial, Mycobacterial, Viral and Fungal micro-organisms

Personally I have been using the TriGene High Level Surface Disinfectants in the larder and hand gels and wipes in the field.

at the risk of puting a few noses out of joint i think to much emphasis is put on hygiene,and disinfictants hand wipes ect ect, the easiest place to pick up a bug is in a hospital, im not saying things shouldnt be kept clean as your facilities can manage and as common sence tells you but i just think things are going a bit over the top, think its all to do with the domestic animale industry fecking up in the last 20 odd years and your ordinary everyday stalker got sucked in...can anyone tell me of a case of anyone eating venison and and dieing or landing up in hospital with ecoli or anyother illness?, so no im afraid i just use good old soap and a clean table and utensils as i dont have the luxury of a game larder and a chill, all my deer get hung in the woodshed skinned and butcherd on a table and thats that ( taking care not to drop the fecker) :doh: ....it used to be in our family if one of us dropped a piece on the floor youd have to be quick to grab it before someone else did...thats if it got to hit the floor

at the risk of puting a few noses out of joint i think to much emphasis is put on hygiene,and disinfictants hand wipes ect ect, the easiest place to pick up a bug is in a hospital, im not saying things shouldnt be kept clean as your facilities can manage and as common sence tells you but i just think things are going a bit over the top, think its all to do with the domestic animale industry fecking up in the last 20 odd years and your ordinary everyday stalker got sucked in...can anyone tell me of a case of anyone eating venison and and dieing or landing up in hospital with ecoli or anyother illness?, so no im afraid i just use good old soap and a clean table and utensils as i dont have the luxury of a game larder and a chill, all my deer get hung in the woodshed skinned and butcherd on a table and thats that ( taking care not to drop the fecker) :doh: ....it used to be in our family if one of us dropped a piece on the floor youd have to be quick to grab it before someone else did...thats if it got to hit the floor

I have to agree with you to some extent on your comments,But there has to be in my view over caution in respect to hygiene, as their is bacteria present on the external surface of any deer shot and as soon as you cut through a deer’s skin in carrying out any procedure you are transferring that contamination into the carcass. However having said that by being vigilant in the tools and gear you use. Like clean knife and wearing gloves you will stop cross contamination both ways from yourself to the deer and vice versa in lessening the risk. Being aware of environmental contamination from the surrounding areas where you carry out these procedures are also important, for instance you would not carry out a gralloch in a field that’s been muck spread for instance and neither would you drag a carcass after being shot through ground where possible contamination could effect the carcass, which would be dangerous is such got into the food chain, as stated it is totally impossible to prevent contamination and the possible dangers associated with zoonosis but if a hunter is trained to be aware of those dangers then he will through logic minimize the risk involved.

Such actions can only be beneficial to the consumer.

As regards personal hygiene how do you know your not a carrier of some potential life threatening disease yourself a carrier would not suffer from it, as he would have built up an immunity in his system, but he could pass a potential disease on.

I try to keep all my equipment as sterile as possible before and after wearing gloves certainly helps it also makes it difficult in picking or scratching your chocolate star fish or picking your nose or scratching your bollocks whilst wearing them which are disposed of after use or sterilized,a tendency i enjoy at times :tongue2: I tend to stick all my gear into a high temp dishwasher prior to going out in the field or prior to use in the larder.

The biggest concern that I have is bacteria already present on the carcass and maintaining temp at a constant 7 deg or below whilst out in the field as any slight increase above that figure bacteria multiplies at such an alarming rate which isn’t seen to the eye so hygiene and knowledge in procedure is very important indeed.

In summary boiling water kills bacteria on equipment in the larder wash down all surfaces with plenty of water surfaces should be none porous and without areas that could breed bacteria stainless steel and high density laminated surfaces are fine and and constant use of any disenfectant from any source followed by a swill down again prior to each and every carcass being worked on

Thats all you can do really obvious things apply like fly free and temp controlled environment and a correct waste management system

Regards

Stu

Edited by Caprelous

agreed ..lol..a bit long winded for the word i used " common sence" ..lol.. and what you do with your own arse, balls and other parts are your own busnes ... :whistling: i dont know if i wanted to know that..lol..

Edited by nastybilly

agreed ..lol..a bit long winded for the word i used " common sence" ..lol.. and what you do with your own arse, balls and other parts are your own busnes ... :whistling: i dont know if i wanted to know that..lol..

Well you know now so when you decide either way the information is there :feck:

Yes I agree there Caprelous, You have earnt one point as your smilie so rightly says

Will I need gloves?

Yes I agree there Caprelous, You have earnt one point as your smilie so rightly says

Will I need gloves?

Only if your lucky and dab two the first I will demonstrate the second your on your own its the rules, like if you shoot one the rule is your the one who carries it out :tongue2:

The first deer I shot was at the bottom of a ravine my mentor showed me how to do a gralloch asked me if i understood when i asked him if he would help me to carry it out he walked away laughing he said you shot it so you carry it its the rules of the game. he further went on to say that he shot his a lot closer to the road, i quickly learned why. :whistling:

Just joking hopefully it will be a memorable experience one to treasure for ever.

Edited by Caprelous

Will I need gloves?

Only if your lucky and dab two the first I will demonstrate the second your on your own its the rules, like if you shoot one the rule is your the one who carries it out :tongue2:

The first deer I shot was at the bottom of a ravine my mentor showed me how to do a gralloch asked me if i understood when i asked him if he would help me to carry it out he walked away laughing he said you shot it so you carry it its the rules of the game. he further went on to say that he shot his a lot closer to the road, i quickly learned why. :whistling:

Two! twice the fun then.

NB

A lot of what you post is very true , and works just fine for the guy producing a product for his own consumption. Things get a little tougher when you start putting carcases into the commercial food chain. Correct temperature control storage for a start. Unless in the middle of winter it would be hard to get the wood shed temp down to <7degree for a start.

If you refrain from Stus favourite pasttimes of scratching his chocolate star fish, rubbing his bollox or sticking snuff up his nose you can quite legitimately get away without having to wear gloves.

I find using the Trigene gel and wipes in the field helps ensure that any potential risk of cross contamination is kept to the bare minimum when dealing with multiple carcasses. As you can't wipe your knife on your gloves for a start.

NB

A lot of what you post is very true , and works just fine for the guy producing a product for his own consumption. Things get a little tougher when you start putting carcases into the commercial food chain. Correct temperature control storage for a start. Unless in the middle of winter it would be hard to get the wood shed temp down to <7degree for a start.

If you refrain from Stus favourite pasttimes of scratching his chocolate star fish, rubbing his bollox or sticking snuff up his nose you can quite legitimately get away without having to wear gloves.

I find using the Trigene gel and wipes in the field helps ensure that any potential risk of cross contamination is kept to the bare minimum when dealing with multiple carcasses. As you can't wipe your knife on your gloves for a start.

Its not my no 1 favourite really although i do enjoy a good nadger i must admit especially when you get right in there with the fingers and make your turn ups on your strides go up and down , its great :tongue2: