Spring Traps

I'm making a tunnel for my first Fenn trap, a mark 6. In 'Trap making step by step' Bryan says to make the hole in the end of the tunnel 2"x2" for rats (pg 97). This post http://tinyurl.com/6b9o77h describes a 3"x3" fencing. Which is best for rats?

I got a pair of "Little Nipper" type spring traps from Poundland. Bryan describes spring trap boxes for these type of traps but only gives the fencing size for rats (pg 99). What size for mice? I'm pretty sure there are no rats in that building, but there's always a first time and I'd hate for them to trigger a trap not big enough to kill.

I've never trapped with a Fenn before. I plan to boil it up twice, once with washing powder and once with oak twigs. Then set in the tunnel, safety on, for a week. Then pre-bait with a mix of dried maze and pig pellets for another ten days then release the safety (the rats are currently eating wheat and layers pellets). I know that's a long time before it starts trapping but I want it to get off to a good start when it does as 'her indoors' was skeptical about getting a trap rather than another drum of poison and I think long term I'll probably want more traps. Anyway, is it ok to leave a Fenn set continually for nearly three weeks? Or do they need relaxing periodically? If so how often and how long for?

Plank

you would be surprised just how small a hole a rodent will get through. Mice will comfortably get through a 1 inch hole.

This photo is of a commercial rat bait box and you'll see that the entrance is pretty much 2 inches across. That's not to say that all rats would get in there; I know there have been some giants recorded.

In my opinion the importance of the restriction is what you exclude rather than what you let in and I'd always go for the smaller opening.

Cheers, John

post-2748-0-99738000-1309972640_thumb.jpg

Mate just stick it in a tunnel, push a stick in the ground at both ends to stop non targets and keep the safty off. A trap weathers best when its set in place! No need to mess around with it.

Plank

you would be surprised just how small a hole a rodent will get through. Mice will comfortably get through a 1 inch hole.

This photo is of a commercial rat bait box and you'll see that the entrance is pretty much 2 inches across. That's not to say that all rats would get in there; I know there have been some giants recorded.

In my opinion the importance of the restriction is what you exclude rather than what you let in and I'd always go for the smaller opening.

Thanks I'll go for the 2"x2".