Rabbit shooting at the cemetery!

Last night I went out to my permission at my local cemetery for the first time. I had never been lamping before so was quite excited to try it out. I left the house at 8:15 pm and first went to an abandoned quarry for some target practice as this was also the first time I was trying out my new rifle. Once I got my scope zeroed in I was good to go and arrived at the cemetery at 10:00pm. I thought I would go when it was still light. As I entered the first part of the cemetery I could see six or seven rabbits by the banking to my left so I quietly followed the row of bushes and had a peek through the bottom. There they were! I took aim at the biggest of the bunch witch must have been only twenty yards away and fired, Got him just right of the eye. The next one came forty mins later just as it was starting to get dark, a smaller one but a nice clean kill. I then went back to the car to get my lamp as visibility was now very poor. After attempting to stock the rabbits on foot for a while I gave it up as a bad job and decided to sit in the bushes and wait it out. It was now 11:45pm and I hadn’t seen another rabbit. I was beginning to lose faith when at around midnight they began to come back out. I scanned the area to my right, a wall that ran the length of the cemetery and that seemed to be the [bANNED TEXT] place. I got another just minutes later and best of all, his pal beside him stood still long enough for me to reload and took him as well. I decided to call it a night at about 1:00am and walked round to collect my kills. So all in all I had a great night and was surprised at how peaceful and calming the cemetery was at night. I most admit that when packing my gear back into the car the glove compartment popped open and I near soiled my self :icon_redface: but its all part of the job.

Thanks for reading

Beastie Hunter

• Like 1

Excellent my fellow Grave Yard Reaper :notworthy:

Don't forget to take pix next time you are out :thumbs:

You mention the "Tranquillity" of the place, funnily enough my boneyard is only a few hundred feet from the main route into and out of Hull. Yet I find it so relaxing and peaceful :yes:

Don't know why, perhaps its my family that is in there (well my ex wifes mom, dad and two brothers).

Funnily enough, I feel "At Home" and relaxed when I am there; not sure why though :hmm:I know that you can't shoot there during the day where as I can (as long as there isn't any burials that day). But winter, spring summer and fall, its hunting heaven.

ATB

Tony

Edited by Phantom

Excellent my fellow Grave Yard Reaper :notworthy:

Don't forget to take pix next time you are out :thumbs:

You mention the "Tranquillity" of the place, funnily enough my boneyard is only a few hundred feet from the main route into and out of Hull. Yet I find it so relaxing and peaceful :yes:

Don't know why, perhaps its my family that is in there (well my ex wifes mom, dad and two brothers).

Funnily enough, I feel "At Home" and relaxed when I am there; not sure why though :hmm:I know that you can't shoot there during the day where as I can (as long as there isn't any burials that day). But winter, spring summer and fall, its hunting heaven.

ATB

Tony

ye i must agree,it was so peacful, I was there again last night and got 5 rabbits and sat them to the side under a tree as i always do untill i collect them later when i go home, well 3 am came and i went to get my nights efforts when two of them were gone !!! :o I dont know what could have taken them as its well fenced and im not sure that a fox could get in.... strange . they were defonatly dead i know that for sure. Also Tony,do you find it better to stalk the rabbits or find someware to sit and hide?

I do stalk them, but very rarely.

I usually find a place that gives me a good view of as many warrens as possible and the entrances that they use to come through the fences. Then I lay up and snipe them as they show.

You will be surprised how crafty a fox can be and just how small a place is needed for one to crawl through.

I once shot a bunny and almost as it hit the ground a fox had jumped into the cemy, grabbed the bunny and ran off with it, litterally a few yards in front of me.

Tony

nice succesful first outing for you mate.

I do stalk them, but very rarely.I usually find a place that gives me a good view of as many warrens as possible and the entrances that they use to come through the fences. Then I lay up and snipe them as they show.You will be surprised how crafty a fox can be and just how small a place is needed for one to crawl through.I once shot a bunny and almost as it hit the ground a fox had jumped into the cemy, grabbed the bunny and ran off with it, litterally a few yards in front of me.Tony

hey tony, those foxs sure get funny about people on there permision lol

.atb. .ste.

Ye i supose they are crafty devils them foxes. I mite try to shoot the rabbits from the car at some point as they dont seem to be afraid of the car one bit.when i finish up for the night i drive back through the cemy and they are everyware. The cemetery is huge and i havent even been to the older part of it yet as the road through is pritty much un-drivable