Hi I've had rifles for around 20 years now and would like to apply for 17hmr when it says what are the reasons for this firearm on the variation. Would I be wrong to put for rabbit and fox control it's the fox bit I am not sure on as my constabulary say they prefer centrefire rounds to shoot foxes with ???? Can any one help thankyou

Hi I've had rifles for around 20 years now and would like to apply for 17hmr when it says what are the reasons for this firearm on the variation. Would I be wrong to put for rabbit and fox control it's the fox bit I am not sure on as my constabulary say they prefer centrefire rounds to shoot foxes with ???? Can any one help thankyou

i was told to just write down "long range vermin" from someone who works in the firearm dealership near me, and i would trust him.

The HO guidance states that it is reasonable to allow the user to decide what calibre they wish to use, given that it has sufficient energy to ensure a humane kill. Some firearms departments accept fox as a good reason for .17, others will say that it's not powerful enough. The best bet is to get it issued for vermin, but with the "any other legal quarry" condition.

Do you want to do it right and stay within the law ? if so put fox down, if refused asks for a centrefire for fox, other than that phone the FEO up and ask if a Hmr would be granted for fox, that way your not wasting time and will know you have done everthing right :thumbs:

Fox control is not a "good reason" for most police forces, although the round is more than capable out to 140-150 metres depending on the skill of the user, and being able to hit the brain on a fully grown adult fox. My licensing officer in Greater Manchester accepts that it can be used for dispatching captured foxes. Remember that good reason is what you intend to use it for, and not what you may necessarily will use it for if the opportunity arises.

Cheers lads

the only reason it would be handy to have it stating fox is that if the chance was there when out bunny bashing and it was the only rifle on me at the time it would be handy it being on the certificate so as not to brake the law are give the fac dept a call Monday and see what they say many thanks

Cheers lads

the only reason it would be handy to have it stating fox is that if the chance was there when out bunny bashing and it was the only rifle on me at the time it would be handy it being on the certificate so as not to brake the law are give the fac dept a call Monday and see what they say many thanks

I have fox on my ticket for my HMR. Long range rabbits and occasional fox if the right opportunity arose. 22lr for rabbits and vermin control. Local authority ok with this obviously. It's a postcode lottery mate.