help for beginner on caty's

im looking for some guidance on hunting with a catapult. i cant seem to hit a barn door with the bloody thing. ive only got one of those black widow commercially produced things that ive had sitting about for years but thought i would have a practice before i purchased a decent one. where are my aiming points on the catapult? do i look down the left elastic, the right elastic? do i aim just above the target, just below? i really dont have a clue.

also what ammo do i use?

i work in an area where there are a few rabbits and wouldnt mind popping a few off for my ferrets. thanks

Hi mate. I have a wide range of different catapults all fitted with different types of elastic ie: double/single theraband gold flat bands,barnett red powerbands for blackwidow and diablo,square bands for malbro and even the ones off my local postytongue2.gif. With each catapult i own i have to aim different as each one has a different frame and elastic type and power.You also have to take elevation and windage into account! also what ammo you wish to be firing. I tend to try and use 10/12mm steel/lead shot for theraband golds and barnett powerbands and marbles and pebbles for the posty elasticsthumbs.gif. Tbh the best thing to do is go in the yard set your self a target up pref a cardboard box up against a wall/fence with a 6" circle drawn on a A4 piece of paper stuck to it as this stops ammo rebounding off and either hitting you or a windowthumbs.gif and plenty of practice. After finding the a ruff aiming guide with a grouping of 5 try moving back a few strides and try again untill you feel confident in been able to go hunting and make a 1 SHOT kill (head shot). Hope this helps you mate and ATB....................mickthumbs.gif

As Mick says above mate,its practice,doesnt matter what type of catty you use really,as for "aiming" a catty,im not sure you can in the classic sense,when you shoot one enough you just get the knack of it,or should do,a bit like playing darts for eg.

Some things will help,i wont touch stiff elastic or hard to draw elastic with a bargepole,its hard to be consistent with a hard draw elastic,your "working length" should be equal [the length of elastic between pouch and frame]and the weight of your ammo should match the strength of your elastic eg if the elastic is to strong for the weight of your ammo it tends to make you inconsistent.

If you are mainly after rabbits a tennis ball is a good target to practice on,put a slit in it though or the balls will bounce of it with some force,a couple of feet of broom handle knocked in the ground is a good target to get you shooting straight,obviously you should have a good backstop to stop accidents.

Hope thats useful. :thumbs:

Hi mate,

Keep trying mate, I used to put an old cricket stump in the ground and throw a sheet over it like the open end of a scout tent (stops the shot flying everywhere so you can re use it) I would then try and hit the stump, if you can consistently hit that roughly in the same place u can hit the neck or head of anything!

Good luck

Tony

Thanks guys. I was practicing last night. I was just sat in the garden shooting at the tree which is around 3/4 of

A foot wide and it's was hit an miss. It's a start though. I took the arm support if my black widow Caty so it's a little easier to hold tbh. I know it's not ideal but I'm just having a go. Going to buy a better one when I can actually hit something. Cheers for the help. What ammo do you use?