Just took over an allotment what can i put in

Right guys as the title says i have just taken over an allotment and need to know what i can still get in to get a bit of produce come autumn/winter. Its basically a blank canvas, spent this weekend clearing it so its ready to go. Also got about 6 or 7 blackcurrent bushes all full of fruit so any good recipies for jams or other stuff i can do with them would be much appreciated. Any advice most welcome and appreciated. cheers knocker

Im no expert but you will be pushing to get much now,a few easy and quick veg could be spuds,these take around 12 weeks but watch out for slugs.Leeks,cauli,cabbage,carrots,peas,runner beans,french beans,salad crops.Summer cropping purple sprouting brocoli,broad beans come october/nov.Have a mouch round local nurseries and get some established plant this will save you some time,good luck and only grow what you like to eat.

As above. You will prob still get caulis ,cabbages and brussel sprouts plants from your local nursery too.

If youve got bramble bushes then the book "jampacked" on ebay i can strongly recommend!! :whistling:

i think if i had got a lotty now i would try to grow a little something in one area and spend rest of the time plotting and planning, weeding, and getting ready for next spring. You need to get a compost heap sited.

cheers for the replies lads, picked up a few trays of brussels, cauliflowers, purple sprouting and a few tomato plants gonna get them in this weekend. Trappa i did ask on another thread if you had any of them books left you must not have seen it will have a look on ebay now.