I've been watching some of the coursing vids on youtube and the majority are salukis or saluki crosses wearing down the hare for a few minutes and then right at the end they kick up a few gears and put in the strike, the last 5 or 10 seconds is pretty impressive speed. It's probably a stupid question but if they're chasing something, whether it be a hare or a rabbit, and there isn't much distance before it hits cover do they generally know to put in that extra burst straight away? I've never seen a saluki run apart from on videos, they're obviously running at a fair old pace to keep up with the hare in the first place but I'm just wondering how effective they are at shorter runs?

ive got two sals here at home ,0ne u/k breed and a bitch direct from d/b parents totally different styles of running ..alot to do with lenghth in shape between them ad foot shape but the end result is the same they both know when to turn it on and off. the bitch probebly more so than the dog he tends to be more full on , but saying that maybe just the way it looks as the bitch has a really long stride compared to the dog .

ive got two sals here at home ,0ne u/k breed and a bitch direct from d/b parents totally different styles of running ..alot to do with lenghth in shape between them ad foot shape but the end result is the same they both know when to turn it on and off. the bitch probebly more so than the dog he tends to be more full on , but saying that maybe just the way it looks as the bitch has a really long stride compared to the dog .

have you got any pics of them together? when running full pelt how do they compare to whippets and greyhounds? I alway imagine them to be somewhere in between?

I've been watching some of the coursing vids on youtube and the majority are salukis or saluki crosses wearing down the hare for a few minutes and then right at the end they kick up a few gears and put in the strike, the last 5 or 10 seconds is pretty impressive speed. It's probably a stupid question but if they're chasing something, whether it be a hare or a rabbit, and there isn't much distance before it hits cover do they generally know to put in that extra burst straight away? I've never seen a saluki run apart from on videos, they're obviously running at a fair old pace to keep up with the hare in the first place but I'm just wondering how effective they are at shorter runs?

I have seen many 3/4breds run the same way salukix's are very intellegent dogs,experienced dog tend to firstly draw the hare in and the

settle to the pace of the hare they watch looking for weaknesses in some circumstances the dog seeing the hare heading for cover

will pass the hare sending it back away from the cover and continue to do so(similar to a sheepdog herding)

On the other hand some salukis such as wilburs Katie and star were full on straight from the slip,their is also a pure bitch

on the natural born hare killers (the one with the cumbrian queen)if i am not mistaken taking hares in cow fields jumping,retrieving

the lot which puts to bed the uneducated theory that salukis can only run big land etc. :thumbs:

I RAN PURES AND 1ST CROSSES THE PURES DIDNT IMPRESS ME IN SMALL/WIRED SCOTTISH FIELDS.

I CROSSED THEM TO EX TRACK DOGS AND THEY WERE UNTOUCHABLE .

MY VIEW.

PURES ,RUN UP WAS CRAP 100,250YRDS

SAL/GREW BY 150YRDS THEY WERE TOYING WAE A HARE2/3TURNS /SETTLED WAITING FOR THE LIFT,HAD S/G ONCE IN RANGE WOULD BAT THEM WITH THEIR PADDLE ,GAME OVER.

PURES TAKE 1/4MILE TO GET ON TERMS.

Somewhat sweeping statement...

Yes the greys have the bunched tight muscle for rip fast acceleration but I would still bank on one of my saplings - slight and tight turns on a sparrow

Fit for purpose guarantee...