shooting times article

For those of you that purchase the shooting times you will be aware of the article regarding shooting deer at close range, 'last weeks issue'. the article went on about good tactics in order to allow deer to come close and tips on how to avoid being spotted etc. ive witnessed this first hand and i managed to get so close to a young 6 point stunning red stag in scotland that i could have decked it with the but of my rifle. i firstly spotted the young prince about 3/4 mile away with around 4 hinds. so the challenge was set and i planned my route and wasted little time before setting on my way. across ground that mountain goats would struggle on the deer seem to prance across it like its a playing field, as i worked my way to a corner of a forrestry block and within about 350yds of the deer, i decided to crawl on my belly as close as possible to test my stalking skills, and seen as though i had already taken a royal and an 8 pointer i wasnt too concerned if i was spotted. the ground between me and the deer was totally flat with the odd patch of heather here and there. as the deer grazed, i moved in slowly, 200yds, 150yds, 100yds, 50yds, i had managed to stalk into 4 hinds and a yound stag to within 15yds! my heart pounding and struggling to control my breathing i slowly raised my head and looking down the side of my rifle, as i was to close to use the scope, i aimed directly at the engine room and boom, he dropped dead where he stood! the 4 hinds jumped with fear and stood still, ears pricked forward, noses raised and mouthes open scenting the air! then they began to panic and one hind walked [bANNED TEXT] over the top of me as i lay perfectly still. she was so close i could make out the ticks and ceds on her belly. she was stood practicaly over me. im my amazement i decided to stay still as long as possible and see whether the hinds would notice me. but after about five minutes they still hadnt. so i jumped up as quick as i could and the hinds which were now a mear 10yds away bolted! this was around 11am on a sunny hot octobers day! and with the sun gleaming off the barrel of my 308 winchester, along with the checked shirt i had on which was mainly white and green. this is living proof that its not colour that spooks wildlife, its simply movement. i know a gamekeeper/estate owner who has stalked for years in a lorge PINK duffell coat, ive even seen a picture of him with a moufflon in france that he shot wearing his pink coat, i know camouflague helps us and its all nice to have the kit, but with this evidance that im sure a few others will vouch on, is it really necessary?

hope youve enjoyed one of my many stalking tales.

Thanks for sharing.

Co-incidence but I have just run this thread on a couple of stalking forums and was going to post on here.

So with your permission I will attach this as my reply.

I have also got on youtube some very close encounters with deer and none was I wearing cammo, just plain green.

To say I had nearly a week off after having my eyes done not a bad start.

03062011678.jpg

45m's

gold.jpg

207m's

AR.jpg

100m's

george.jpg

45m's

How many of you stalk wearing full camo (including a face mask) and think it makes a difference.

I have included ranges here just for reference.

Picture 3 was stalked early in the week by me and the prince and we got 40m's from him without detection but he wasn't quick enough to take the shot. Note the cammo they were NOT wearing.

Personally im never out in full cammo.

Green or brown trousers, then a green top, whether its swazi in summer or nomad in winter with a flat cap. Too a degree deer are colour blind. They rely on seeing movement and shapes, so yes cammo breaks up your shape a little better but im sure if you stand still and be patient it'll work just as well!

I find it quite funny watching people come out stalking wearing head to toe face masks, gloves, balaclavas etc each to their own though, whatever works on their ground!

Personally im never out in full cammo.

Green or brown trousers, then a green top, I find it quite funny watching people come out stalking wearing head to toe face masks, gloves, balaclavas etc each to their own though, whatever works on their ground!

Me to when I'm leading and the deer have to look through me to see the client anyway. :icon_redface:

Im a afraid im a cammo man with face mask ,gloves and scent block coat .Deer may be colour blind but like all prey species they are tuned to respond to forward facing eyes ,the eyes of a predator .I have stalked without all this and managed a beast but i prefer to be covered ,especially if daytime foxing .

Im a afraid im a cammo man with face mask ,gloves and scent block coat .Deer may be colour blind but like all prey species they are tuned to respond to forward facing eyes ,the eyes of a predator .I have stalked without all this and managed a beast but i prefer to be covered ,especially if daytime foxing .

+1 for this I always like to hide the pink bits :icon_redface:. if i'm in a highseat I dont bother but on foot I always wear cammo veil and gloves. Even if you bump a beast it will nearly always pause for a look back just a shade longer than if your face and hands are bare mostly offering a shot. Colourblind they may be but they do recognise skin tone and to me if they spot your face staring back at them they bolt, I've been up close in woodland and they just look at you almost puzzled, wondering what you are then begin feeding again.

ATB

Alan.

For those of you that purchase the shooting times you will be aware of the article regarding shooting deer at close range, 'last weeks issue'. the article went on about good tactics in order to allow deer to come close and tips on how to avoid being spotted etc. ive witnessed this first hand and i managed to get so close to a young 6 point stunning red stag in scotland that i could have decked it with the but of my rifle. i firstly spotted the young prince about 3/4 mile away with around 4 hinds. so the challenge was set and i planned my route and wasted little time before setting on my way. across ground that mountain goats would struggle on the deer seem to prance across it like its a playing field, as i worked my way to a corner of a forrestry block and within about 350yds of the deer, i decided to crawl on my belly as close as possible to test my stalking skills, and seen as though i had already taken a royal and an 8 pointer i wasnt too concerned if i was spotted. the ground between me and the deer was totally flat with the odd patch of heather here and there. as the deer grazed, i moved in slowly, 200yds, 150yds, 100yds, 50yds, i had managed to stalk into 4 hinds and a yound stag to within 15yds! my heart pounding and struggling to control my breathing i slowly raised my head and looking down the side of my rifle, as i was to close to use the scope, i aimed directly at the engine room and boom, he dropped dead where he stood! the 4 hinds jumped with fear and stood still, ears pricked forward, noses raised and mouthes open scenting the air! then they began to panic and one hind walked [bANNED TEXT] over the top of me as i lay perfectly still. she was so close i could make out the ticks and ceds on her belly. she was stood practicaly over me. im my amazement i decided to stay still as long as possible and see whether the hinds would notice me. but after about five minutes they still hadnt. so i jumped up as quick as i could and the hinds which were now a mear 10yds away bolted! this was around 11am on a sunny hot octobers day! and with the sun gleaming off the barrel of my 308 winchester, along with the checked shirt i had on which was mainly white and green. this is living proof that its not colour that spooks wildlife, its simply movement. i know a gamekeeper/estate owner who has stalked for years in a lorge PINK duffell coat, ive even seen a picture of him with a moufflon in france that he shot wearing his pink coat, i know camouflague helps us and its all nice to have the kit, but with this evidance that im sure a few others will vouch on, is it really necessary?

hope youve enjoyed one of my many stalking tales.

could i get the number of the guy with the pink duffle :whistling::icon_redface: