20 MONTH OLD COCKER BITCH

My little black bitch has stopped retrevin birds ,she just looks at you waggin her tail. If it's a 100 yard retrive she'll bring it back within 4 yards but then stops and starts mouthing. I 've ggot no probs with dummy's just live quarry any idea's lads ? Never had this problem before but i've only had labs

sounds like you need to go back to basics, retrieving has lost its appeal to her, I would give her a break for a few weeks... How often are your training her on feather and fur? as for the mouthing you need to get down low and call her in, don't take it off her straight away let her hold it, praise her then take the bird.a bird is much different taste and feel than a dummy so she wants to play with it and not bring it back

Im not a trainer have only trained my labs Im sure someone will be able to offer better expert advice :)

I'd agree with you Clare. One problem might be that she's lost her confidence/drive on them, maybe cos you've unintentionally done a bit too much retrieving with her. The looking at you wagging thing suggests she's not sure what to do, which is what my cocker will do if you keep on chucking the same bird out over and over. It's like she's saying "I've brought it back all these times and you keep chucking it, so that's obviously not what you want, and now I don't know what to do?!"

Having said that, are these freshly killed birds she's having the problems with, or cold'uns? Does she run straight out and find them no problem?

It might be as well she's struggling to get a good hold on them, hence the dropping and mouthing, and that's making her lose confidence in her ability to bring them back?

hi mate basics don't have eye contact when the dogs bringing it in and get down to accept retrieve + with the dummy or bird when you accept it from her give her it back and gently take it again try and get a bit of fun back into the training just advicing what i have done myself. atb and hows things with you .

My little black bitch has stopped retrevin birds ,she just looks at you waggin her tail. If it's a 100 yard retrive she'll bring it back within 4 yards but then stops and starts mouthing. I 've ggot no probs with dummy's just live quarry any idea's lads ? Never had this problem before but i've only had labs

ok if shes stoping sort dont walk to her go back 4 5 steps then call her in no joy 4 5 agen still no good walk away the the odds are she will folow and when your training sit her out ten yards re call let her sit in front ov you walk back 3 yards call her in all way and sit had same thing happend with mine but ok with this it just takes time sounds like abit giddey

hi mate basics don't have eye contact when the dogs bringing it in and get down to accept retrieve + with the dummy or bird when you accept it from her give her it back and gently take it again try and get a bit of fun back into the training just advicing what i have done myself. atb and hows things with you .

I ok mate just waitin to see if there's out spare and was goin to give yer a ring. See yer got some places spare , have yer sorted it now?

I ok mate just waitin to see if there's out spare and was goin to give yer a ring. See yer got some places spare , have yer sorted it now?