Shooting other permissions with a closed ticket

Does anybody shoot on other peoples permissions without getting letters and forms signed?

a friend invited me out on he's permission for a look out with the .22 and HMR after i lost a decent permission of my own so i gave the local firearms dept a ring to see if this was ok but they said i must have written permission to do this. I then sent countryside alliance an email saying what had happened and they rang me the next day to say that i was 100% ok to go on other peoples permissions as long as the land is cleared for the calibre i'd be using (.22, .17 hmr), which they are as my friend has the same rifles and that i have lawfull authority to shoot there which again is fine as he's allowed to take someone out with him. So how come the police say i cant? Can anybody shed a bit light on this subject as i dont want to going out and getting stopped somewhere i should'nt be even thought the bloke from countryside alliance reckons it's fine, cheers, Liam..

i sent them a letter along with my cert to see if they could change the conditions to allow my to shoot other permissions by invite or as aguest but they sent it back the same as it was with a note saying they wont do it.

I know i need to get out again looking for more permissions but it's just finding the time, work all week, kids on a weekend, got my Hmr there gathering dust, havent even shot it at anything yet, lost my permission the day after i got it. Liam..

Edited by RAPID7LIAM

Im afraid the Police are correct, it dosent matter that your mate has permission YOU dont have permission from the land owner and until you do you are not allowed to shoot there.

There is an exception to this where by the "Land lords agent" could give you permission however its a grey area as to your mate being classed as the land lords agent. Personally I wouldnt risk it. Worse case scenario if you were caught and the owner wasnt happy with you being on his land with a rifle you could be done with illegal trespass with a fire arm...Bye bye fire arms ticket.

Cant your mate get you permission there for yourself from the landowner? If not youve got to ask yourself if the landowner would want you there in the 1st place....

I hope you get it sorted

best of luck

Seeker

the gamekeeper who gave me it was told off he's boss to get rid of a few of the lads for some reason and as i was the last one in, i was also the first one out, some of the men have been there for years and i had only been on it since last august. Was doing my job on the rabbits but said he could'nt tell someone who'd been going up there for years to leave when i'd only been there 6/7 months. still got a small permission thats fine for my fac air rifle but i'm always very wary with the .22 and i definatly wouldnt risk the hmr.

I think there may be some confusion here. A closed ticket is one which restricts the holder to shooting on land which has been passed by the police for the calibre. An open ticket is one which allows the shooter to decide whether it is safe to use a given calibre. You must always have the landholders permission. If you have asked the police to open your ticket they probably think you're a cheeky git asking for an open FAC with comparatively little experience!

Edited by RicW
  • Like 1

Goodness me there is some rubbish posted.

The CA are correct, it is not a legal requirement to have permission in writing. Verbal permission is all that is required.

As a closed ticket holder as long as the land has been cleared and you have permission to shoot on the land you are OK.

Just ensure that your pal actually does have the authority to give you permission.

What a load of old piffle from the firearms lot at your local plod (and from a lot of people on here).

Read the condition on your FAC. It will say something along the lines of "for use over land which the holder has legal authority to shoot, and which is deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area in which the land lies."

So, there is NO requirement for written permission (though it might be sensible to get it if possible, just to make sure you actually DO have permission) and anyone who says otherwise is utterly wrong (my local plod tried to tell me I needed to send them written permission letters for each permission before I shot on it, sorry, no dice.

What a load of old piffle from the firearms lot at your local plod (and from a lot of people on here).

Read the condition on your FAC. It will say something along the lines of "for use over land which the holder has legal authority to shoot, and which is deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area in which the land lies."

So, there is NO requirement for written permission (though it might be sensible to get it if possible, just to make sure you actually DO have permission) and anyone who says otherwise is utterly wrong (my local plod tried to tell me I needed to send them written permission letters for each permission before I shot on it, sorry, no dice.

Who said anything about written permission? The guy needs permission Verbal or otherwise from the land owner or the landowners "agent" he does not have the authority to shoot on this land without it even if his mate says he can unless the mate is the land owner or landowners agent.

Edited to add

Just re read original post understand that the police said written permission required, I agree that's utter tosh but obtaining permission as above still applies :thumbs:

I have been through all this myself, contacted BASC and the police about an exact same situation a couple of years back, the grey area is the landlords agent title.

Liam,you CAN shoot on others permission as a guest.Ace 32 & meself have our own permissions & have verbal permission only from each others landowner...ie we must be in each others company on the respective land.If was to invite you to my place,i would ask my landowner for verbal permission for you to shoot as a guest & as long as he says yes,there's no problems.

Thanks for the replies men, as my friends written permission has him and guest that means i am fine to tag along as the land owner is letting him take another person out with him, at least i know where i stand now. cheers lads, Liam..