Dog just had a fit/seizure

My dog just had a fit/ seizure and never had one before. Its got to be the sketchiest thing ive witnessed as a dog owner i... One thing didn't help that my sister was with her at the time and instead of keeping calm she panicked big time shouting help help she's dyeing... so i ran down stairs and kept calm she was unconscious having a siezure legs going at 100mph on her side and frothing at the mouth , after 2 minutes she gained consiosness but was confused and went for me. shes ok now just a little confused

This is the first time ive ever witnessed this in a dog and i'm taking her to the vets this thursday for a possible epileptic diagnosis

Does this means she's now officially epileptic? Have any of you lot had this happen before and has it changed the dog much? She was 4 years old this april and usually a very energatic healthy dog...Im hopeing she'll be ok in the long run

atb Ben

My dog just had a fit/ seizure and never had one before. Its got to be the sketchiest thing ive witnessed as a dog owner i... One thing didn't help that my sister was with her at the time and instead of keeping calm she panicked big time shouting help help she's dyeing... so i ran down stairs and kept calm she was unconscious having a siezure legs going at 100mph on her side and frothing at the mouth , after 2 minutes she gained consiosness but was confused and went for me. shes ok now just a little confused

This is the first time ive ever witnessed this in a dog and i'm taking her to the vets this thursday for a possible epileptic diagnosis

Does this means she's now officially epileptic? Have any of you lot had this happen before and has it changed the dog much? She was 4 years old this april and usually a very energatic healthy dog...Im hopeing she'll be ok in the long run

atb Ben

It doesn't mean she can't live a normal life. The vet can supply drugs to control the epilepsy. I don't think it can be cured but it can be controlled by drugs so that she doesn't fit again.

check out this website for more info.

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/owners/Owners_about_epil.htm

or do a search on the internet, there are plenty of useful sites. Good luck :thumbs:

Ive seen similar in a cocker spaniel I used to work. But that was deffinately work related, the dog fitted during the days beating, quite often after he had been in water. We found keeping his suger levels up helped alot. However this doesnt sound the same. Whats the breed of dog? The cocker was a chocolate and I do wonder if it had something to do with it, too closely bred etc...

we Have a 7year old working springer, about 2 years ago she had a fit, we rushed her to the vets. she was still fitting when we got there, the vet had to give her something to calm her down, he said that at her age, and it was the first time she had done that, he was sure she would not have one again, and it happens a lot [ 1 off fits] and would probably not happen again, up to now she has never had one since, it was very scary, would'nt like to see it again, hope everything goes well at the vets :thumbs:

My Mastiff started having fits and it was pitiful to watch. He weighed 11 stone and the fits became more

regular, Three in 20 minutes, so to the vet he went and i had him put down. Very sad but i thought it was

the best thing to do. Now my little Lakey has started having them.

Not as bad but if he goes the same way as the Mastiff it will be a visit to the Vet as i dont think its

fair on the dog.