memory retrieving

ive an ess pup who is an extremely good hunter but isnt that keen of a retriever, when i'm out training him he'l do everything for me drop to shot, qaurter ground drop to whistle all that craic, just his retrieving wouldnt be the best, after a retrieve or 2 hes showing no interest, but im OK with that as i will be using him for rough shooting so the hunting aspect is more important for me. How do i get him into memory retrieves and onto blind retrieves if i can only get 1 or 2 retrieves from him.

ive an ess pup who is an extremely good hunter but isnt that keen of a retriever, when i'm out training him he'l do everything for me drop to shot, qaurter ground drop to whistle all that craic, just his retrieving wouldnt be the best, after a retrieve or 2 hes showing no interest, but im OK with that as i will be using him for rough shooting so the hunting aspect is more important for me. How do i get him into memory retrieves and onto blind retrieves if i can only get 1 or 2 retrieves from him.

Retrieving as with all training should be fun and it is for you to stop the lesson not him it is important though that you stop before he gets bored.

Do you use the same dummy or do you ring the changes with a fur/feather dummy and do you use scents on your dummy's? It may be that it isn't retrieving that bores him it is the dummy it may be time to try some cold game to interest him but again don't overdo it take your time and get basic retrieving right before more advanced retrieves.