thinking of .22

after using .177 for years fancy getting a .22 hw97k only for hunting ,some say that they are only usable for short to middle range hunting,but whats the differance roughly in inches in trajectory over say 35 to 40 yds,than a .177 .also how many of you still use a .22 underlever for hunting .the pellets ill be using in the .22 will be superdomes which i usually find are ok in german barrels any info will be appreciated thanks

after switching to .177 two years ago i`ve never used my .22 since, it`s not that either calibre is more accurate than the other, it`s more a case of the loopy tragectory of the .22 makes rangefinding a bit more critical, the only time i`d consider using my .22 now is if i got some close range ratting work to do

I shoot regularly with the HW97s forebear the HW77 and my God, I love this rifle. I would never take a pcp of any make or calibre over my HW77 .22 rifle. :no:

It's sub 12ft/lb and I hunt from a zero of 25metres to 55 metres range and sometimes over 60! I use a Hawke SR12 6-18x44AO scope for it and, after being shown how to use the Hawke Chairgun software by zini here, I have created a supremely accurate shooting profile for this rifle which makes it absolutely deadly for rabbit shooting in my hands, from 25 to 55 metres.

This has come afer many years experience of shooting .22 and .177 spring rifles with simple but extremely accurate 30-30 reticle scopes. I've learned my pellets trajectories from the ground floor up.

I have established a kill-zone of just 2.5 centimetres which means, that from 6.8 metres where the pellet enters my true line-of-sight to 28.4 metres at the exit drop-out I only need to adjust for one and a quarter centimetres holdover/holdunder for any rabbit entering my point-blank range distance.

Properly calibrated mildots will take it easilly out to over double the 25-metre zero range.

Anyone who claims a .22 Weihrauch HW97K is not capable of shooting further than 35 yards accurately, is either bullshitting or has no accurate shooting skills of their own beyond this range to push the rifle further.

Simon

• Like 1

I shoot regularly with the HW97s forebear the HW77 and my God, I love this rifle. I would never take a pcp of any make or calibre over my HW77 .22 rifle. :no:

It's sub 12ft/lb and I hunt from a zero of 25metres to 55 metres range and sometimes over 60! I use a Hawke SR12 6-18x44AO scope for it and, after being shown how to use the Hawke Chairgun software by zini here, I have created a supremely accurate shooting profile for this rifle which makes it absolutely deadly for rabbit shooting in my hands, from 25 to 55 metres.

This has come afer many years experience of shooting .22 and .177 spring rifles with simple but extremely accurate 30-30 reticle scopes. I've learned my pellets trajectories from the ground floor up.

I have established a kill-zone of just 2.5 centimetres which means, that from 6.8 metres where the pellet enters my true line-of-sight to 28.4 metres at the exit drop-out I only need to adjust for one and a quarter centimetres holdover/holdunder for any rabbit entering my point-blank range distance.

Properly calibrated mildots will take it easilly out to over double the 25-metre zero range.

Anyone who claims a .22 Weihrauch HW97K is not capable of shooting further than 35 yards accurately, is either bullshitting or has no accurate shooting skills of their own beyond this range to push the rifle further.

Simon