how old to run alongside bike?

he is nearly 7 mth old now collie g/h d/h bags of energy tho so was thinking just a bit on bike once or twice a week not too far tho i think is the best option just dont wanna stint his growth or cause any problems for future as this is my first dog so still learning thanks for all comments

he is nearly 7 mth old now collie g/h d/h bags of energy tho so was thinking just a bit on bike once or twice a week not too far tho i think is the best option just dont wanna stint his growth or cause any problems for future as this is my first dog so still learning thanks for all comments

i think thats the best age 2 start it off mate ,just lightly does it ,just go for a mile then once the dog 12 month /14 month its groth plates should be nealy done and then built him up and he will be in peak condition for the new season ,what height is the dog now ?

all of my dogs run beside the bike i dont usually start until thgey are at least 10 months old and for the first couple of months only a mile or so. Smaller whippet crosses or most longdogs usually mature physically quicker but bull or deerhounds shouldnt be pushed the deeround is a massive breed and needs to grow out of its bone before you start with conditioning.

I would work up slowly to about five miles at the age of 2 i have found that going further doesnt add a lot to conditioning. More importantly for younger dogs is to run free through big fields,woodland and beaches they encounter different terrain and obstacles learn to like water. Just make sure the dogs re call is spot on and every walk should be a training exercise. The brain needs as much stimulation as the body, good luck :thumbs:

096.jpg

116.jpg

233.jpg

001.jpg

and the end result is this

5-10 mins can be an awfull long time to run a pup, you can go a hell of a distance on a bike in that time.

All depends on the cross, some grow quicker than others. I would personally wait till it is at least 10mths old, and calmer in the head. And/or start him off on fields if possible, less jarring to the joints.

To help get rid of some of his energy now, get him out with a ball on a rope, you can fling those things a good distance, it also helps with training for retrieve, and striking. The adrenalin rush they get from playing tires them out quicker than running alongside a bike :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'd wait till 10 to 12 months old and start at half a mile at a slow pace. Then build pace and distance slowly.

I run the older dogs along side the car for 3 miles at 20-25 mph, then let the youngster out to run with the older dogs for half a mile at 10-15 mph.

I give them a half hour walk first though to let them clean themselves out and warm up the muscles.

Through the warm weather I go early morning or just before dark when it's cooler and run them along side the bike.

i wouldnt even think of takin a 7 month old pup out on a bike ride i would start takin it out with the bike when its about 10 month so its done a bit growning people of this site are to keen to start there pups off just let them grow for f**k sake man youl only ruin it