squirrel heart shots

I was just remembering a time when i didn't give enough holdover and hit a squirrel in the heart. I realised from the hollow sound that it wasn't a headshot but it still went down very quickly and im now wondering that as i get more confident in longer range shots, are these kind of shots acceptable to take on. its amazing the amount of squirrels i've seen up trees with their head safely out of view behind a branch, as if they know what im trying to docensored.gif

I was just remembering a time when i didn't give enough holdover and hit a squirrel in the heart. I realised from the hollow sound that it wasn't a headshot but it still went down very quickly and im now wondering that as i get more confident in longer range shots, are these kind of shots acceptable to take on. its amazing the amount of squirrels i've seen up trees with their head safely out of view behind a branch, as if they know what im trying to docensored.gif

To be honest mate better be safe than sorry, however heart shot's are as fatal as head shot's so if your sure you've got your pellet going in the right place, take the shot!

Atb Oli

Rat kill zone pic would be the same :thumbs:

Any shot into the area immediately around the front legs will be lethal, every animal has the same kill zones. Head/heart/lung area. Head is immediately fatal as is a shot to the heart/lung area, difference is the squizzer may run on a bit if hit in heart/lung area due to an adrenaline rush. Same as any animal. :thumbs:

Edited by ratattack

Heart shots are fine on small rodents. In fact, they can be a quicker kill than a headshot if you destroy the heart/lungs. The ribs of a small rodent (rat, squirrel, even small rabbits) are thinner than the skull, and a pellet will easily penetrate them and do severe internal damage, resulting in rapid blood loss and rapid death.

Of course, the kill zone is quite small, as a shot that passes through the chest without hitting any major bones (shoulder/leg is often hit, which instantly disables the animal) and blood vessels, will lead to a slow death due to blood loss for the animal. The kill zone on the chest is the same size, or smaller, than the head KZ. It does offer another option, but it's not an easy option.

Also, although you can kill rabbits with a chest shot, it's not recommended as it does too much meat damage, so if you intend to eat your squirrels (surprisingly tasty, if a little bit of a pain to peel) then headshots it is.

I use chest shots a lot for squirrel, as they tend to move their bonces around a fair bit. If Mr Squirrel hears the gun fire, and turns to look, it's the head that moves. This can lead to at best to a total miss, at worst to a mishit injuring the animal without killing it outright. The body tends to stay where it is, so this can mean that a body shot is a better option.

"This can lead to at best to a total miss, at worst to a mis-hit injuring the animal without killing it outright. The body tends to stay where it is, so this can mean that a body shot is a better option." Iv'e also had this happen before on a nice easy shot, only a little bit out of zero range but nice and low and straight. it was still a head shot but tons of blood and kicking. i couldn't really see where i hit it but i can only assume it had heard the shot fire and twitched a bitthumbdown.gif. Iv'e since bought a better silencer!