noisy harris

gwill09

hi everyone, im confused as to why my male harris has suddenly started being vocal when he sees me? ive never fed him in the aviary or in my back garden so thats not the reason, but for the last two days as soon as he sees me he starts screaming, any and all advice will be greatly recieved, hes never been vocal before? :thumbs:

Edited by gwill09

i take it you have him down to moult and he is high in weight?? mine was noisy for the first week or so too (mhh)

he is at "fat weight" of 1lb 12 and a half and has shut up completly.

i would ask your mentor to have a look at possible causes ( i am in my first season too!! first call when in doubt is my mate who bred the bird).

i wish you all the best,

waidmannsheil

cheers mate, i understand that but i asked a similer question on another forum, that shall remain nameless, i got slated!! i gave as good as i got but it put me off asking for advice as i didnt see the need to rip into me for asking a seasoned falconer there opinion :wallbash:

hi everyone, im confused as to why my male harris has suddenly started being vocal when he sees me? ive never fed him in the aviary or in my back garden so thats not the reason, but for the last two days as soon as he sees me he starts screaming, any and all advice will be greatly recieved, hes never been vocal before? :thumbs:

Hi mate, If he down for his moult dont let him see you bringing his grub. Use a food shoot and make sure he cant see you.

Andy

P/r Harris's can fire up screaming a good few years later in life for all sorts of reasons, Bordom being one aswel as a good few others. another one to take into considerations! a Harrishawk is gregariouse by Nature, if left on their own after being in constant company from a Falconer or another bird they can sometimes start to call.

I have a old pair here which the mother is now 16 and the father 21! the female was removed from the aviary about 4 years ago to clear up a injury in her foot, within a couple of weeks she was calling :hmm:, weather it was because she was missing her mate and wanted company I don't know but this bird has been in a breeding partnership for many years and totaly P/R, I suspect after all these years she missed her mate and bored stiff on the bow? I know this much it certainly wasn't food related.

these birds love attention and perhaps when first placed in a enclosed chamber to moult it fires some off, then again They're all different with some being quieter than others.

it can happen at any time mate,try and make sure he doesnt see you, or let someone else go up and feed im threw a shoot,the more he sees you the worse it will get, put a swing perch in the mews if your free lofting it just gives them something to do if you need any help pm me,cheers john.and by the way the other forum you go on is only for the best falconers in the world,total dick heads.

hahaha yea that was my first impresion of the other forum!! lets just say a few choice words were exchanged!! i put a swing perch in yesterday and when i got in from work he was alot quieter, so think thats helped, how big does the shoot have to be and where should it be positioned? ie top or side of the aviary? cheers mate ill pm you alot with questions if i have any :11:

hahaha yea that was my first impresion of the other forum!! lets just say a few choice words were exchanged!! i put a swing perch in yesterday and when i got in from work he was alot quieter, so think thats helped, how big does the shoot have to be and where should it be positioned? ie top or side of the aviary? cheers mate ill pm you alot with questions if i have any :11:

i have my feeding shoots high the food lands on a feeding shelf if you want to shut this bird up you need half of your roof open meshed off all sides closed and feed through the feeding shoot and do not look at him through the roof let him moult out then september drop his weight and get him entered asap i told you a few weeks ago this bird would scream good luck