Rock Piles

What was the point in the question then :D

The point was I am a novice on my best day. There is a ton of practical knowledge here that a person in my shoes could probably benifit from. There are types of hunting that I feel qualified to speak on. This isn't one of them. That's all.

You keep contradicting yourself, which is confusing for someone like me to answer. I presumed your first post was along the lines you are a novice, and what should you do....my answer was if you do not know what you are doing then dont let your dog enter such difficult places. Then you reply, you have hunted like this for years. Then you replied to my answer you are a novice....hence my total confusion :unsure:

Either you know what you are doing or you dont, if you dont, my best advice would be keep the dog leashed till you do.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a rock pile we have worked in the past, most of the land is like this

looks like yours are used to travelling them rock holes anyway. I only used to avoid the short legged, and barrel chested types...   I always enjoyed reading the stories from G.D (rip) in the EDRD

one that comes back out alive

Posted Images

The point was I am a novice on my best day. There is a ton of practical knowledge here that a person in my shoes could probably benifit from. There are types of hunting that I feel qualified to speak on. This isn't one of them. That's all.

What ever other hunting you do and have knowledge of, why not stick to that rather than something you know very little about and put you dogs at risk?

A dog shows nothing but loyalty to his master, and puts all his trust in him so why dont you show some respect in return and alow your dogs a chance of a comfortable retirement after a lifetime working, trying to please you of everything you ask of him.

You keep contradicting yourself, which is confusing for someone like me to answer. I presumed your first post was along the lines you are a novice, and what should you do....my answer was if you do not know what you are doing then dont let your dog enter such difficult places. Then you reply, you have hunted like this for years. Then you replied to my answer you are a novice....hence my total confusion :unsure:

Either you know what you are doing or you dont, if you dont, my best advice would be keep the dog leashed till you do.

I have owned and hunted the land for years. I have not set out to hunt the rocks. Most of my terriers have been a little big for it. But I enjoy trying new things with dogs and have some that would probably fit these days. I appreciate your answer mister. I did not mean to imply that I have sent my dogs in after game. But they are free cast in search of game that travels game trails all over these hills. Knowing that at some point they will end up in them I figured I would learn what I could from some of you that have hunted this way in hopes of heading off some trouble. I will from time to time work them in the rocks. I will likely lose some, there isn't any way to avoid doing so. Thanks for your help.

you ask for advice yet when its given you seem to know it all any way, so why bother??

There are risks in all forms of hunting, whether its rock or earth, its your choice to enter your dog where you please. Who are we to tell you what to do and what not to do?

Good luck and keep your dogs safe as best you can.

I will from time to time work them in the rocks. I will likely lose some, there isn't any way to avoid doing so. Thanks for your help.

For me personally, a good dog is not as easily disposable as that, each to their own :thumbs:

The most practical piece of knowledge you can get from anybody here is do not put a dog into places like that.It is not right to subject any animal to such a death.Myself like other people on here lost dogs down the years those that I dug out dead it is not nice,but i knew they were dead.Those that i could not find,it was a terrible feeling lying in bed at night thinking that animal was still alive and hoping he was not.Those places you have up in those pictures scare me just to look at them.

I must have missed this post. Thanks for the advice. I do not take it lightly.

Always had to work rock piles, as a keeper no choise, if the dogs mark it terriers going in. Worst thats happened was a 3 day wait for my old dog. I prefer a hard fecker of a terrier in rocks, at least if a bolt isnt on the cards the fox should get sorted. A stand-offish terrier could be there for ever barking away. unless your meaning your dogs come away after a short bay, which I know could be handy in some places.

• Like 1

Always had to work rock piles, as a keeper no choise, if the dogs mark it terriers going in. Worst thats happened was a 3 day wait for my old dog. I prefer a hard fecker of a terrier in rocks, at least if a bolt isnt on the cards the fox should get sorted. A stand-offish terrier could be there for ever barking away. unless your meaning your dogs come away after a short bay, which I know could be handy in some places.

I lost a good terrier last season in what was nothing more than a puppy spot, so in my opinion the rocks are very good places to work. heard of some pretty epic recoveries from rocks, but then things can go wrong in any place...fine soft sand for me is way more nervy a job than a rock pile....

Must know which ones to avoid though.... On my ground Ive got one that creeps down through the grikes to the mine workings beneath, if the terrier falls into their hes a gonner- acording to the accounts of the terriermen from my local hunt.

• Like 1

The thing is... I don't want to lose dogs. I put a fair amount of work into them from an early age. A good one is hard to come by, and deserve to be treated well. This is the land I have to hunt. The dogs range out in search of game. I am not always right there either. I am not making light of the fact that I may not see a dog again. But everything here is a disaster waiting to happen. The marshes are no picnic either. But I enjoy hunting my dogs and realize the risk.

This is what I am talking about. What type of terrier is best suited?

Jawn all I will say is that you will need a good pick axe or 2 for them setts :yes: . Done a few dodgy cliff faces in my time and now I prefer earth setts :thumbs: . Good luck in your hunting though :victory:

Thanks man! I appreciate it.. :hmm: