What colour will these kits be?

Guest nutter

well im better informed. so its the slvers that carry a gene that can produce problems if bred close. i was under the impression that close related ferrets could not be bred. i am guessing that parent off spring matings are still a no!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im better informed. so its the slvers that carry a gene that can produce problems if bred close. i was under the impression that close related ferrets could not be bred. i am guessing that parent off spring matings are still a no!

Close/incestuous breeding can cause problems but not always, out in the wild animals aint too particular who they mate with but in most cases their offspring disperse to other territories. Careful line breeding can produce good stock, merles and silvers can and do produce abnormalities, practise good animal husbandry and you should be trouble free.

Guest CharlieC

I was under the impression that silver was just a very diluted version of the polecat colour, in a similar way to how blue in dogs is a dilute of the colour black?

I have inbred ferrets over many generations and also inbred off silvers and never got any deformities apart from short tails (which had appeared in the matings prior to the silver being introduced) the thing I did find with silvers was that they were bonkers and useless at working, so perhaps theres some truth in there, I used the most sensible silver (only had one that wasnt a total fruit loop) and then decided to go back to the albino x polecat crosses as the silver ferrets just didnt work as good.

If were talking dogs then merle x merle is considered a big no - no as it produces white puppies which can be deaf/and or blind. However in some merle x merle matings you can get normal hearing/sighted merle pups, I have seen a litter from 2 merle parents and the pups were merles and didnt have anything wrong with them. If you kept a homozygous dog (2 copies of merle gene) and it didnt have any hearing or sight problems (and not all homozygous puppies do) and then bred it with any other colour all the resulting puppies would be merle, interesting huh?

Its not the best way to breed dogs though, merle x white isnt even a good idea as it dilutes the merle colour further, so the best way to breed merles is merle x normal coloured and that way you can avoid potential problems. :good:

I’ve three silvers, a hob who’s mustard underground and two jill’s one of which is starting to show promise and a nice working size. The other jill is rather on the small side (born same time as other silvers last season) and is showing no signs that she will come into season. So out of three in my court I’ve two gooduns and one mule!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a bloke coming to get 8 kits off me in a bit but he only wants them for pets :( and isn't bothered what colour or sex either but i suppose he's gonna spoil them rotten from speaking to him so they will be happy :yahoo:

gnipper

Gnipper/R,

Alright mate? H's gill ate the last couple of kits just as they were about to open their eyes - feck knows why?!

Anyway, Snowy is well and truly shafted (about a million times lol) by his hob so fingers crossed. Any kits left mate? I could do with a couple in case this doesn't turn out.

Gimme a bell or something when you're free - I got wheels again now :D

L

• 2 weeks later...

Ive only got one kit left now, poley jill. I was gonna keep the smallest poley like last year but i changed my mind and kept one that is a bit saner. Ill throw some pics of my stinkers up soon if i can find where my ma's left the camera :D

How's the kit doing now Rainmaker?

Ive only got one kit left now, poley jill. I was gonna keep the smallest poley like last year but i changed my mind and kept one that is a bit saner. Ill throw some pics of my stinkers up soon if i can find where my ma's left the camera :D

How's the kit doing now Rainmaker?

Great mate, she's settled in a treat. Still soft as a brush, couple of playful nips but nowt naughty. I got a tiny polie gill at the Astley show this weekend - she's from ratting parents, really tiny, and although she's friendly enough she's a LIVE wire. Not scared to give the odd nip either lol

Cheers.