My existing camcorder has Sony Night Shot, so with an IR Filter on my Deben Tracer Max Pro light I now have the means to do some Night Vision

Taking things a little further - I've mounted it onto my .22RF

First - needed to adapt the camcorder to sit on my scope.

My scope is a Zeiss 6x42, I selected a plastic waste pipe to slide over the scope, a step up ring connects the pipe to the camera.

NV1.jpgNV2.jpg

Second - Fit the camcorder, complete with step-up ring and pipe, onto the scope.

NV3.jpg

Finally - Adjust the position of the camcorder to allow the image to be central and in focus.

NV4.jpg

With my Deben Lamp (c/w IR filter) and the camcorder on the scope, it's NightVision and videoing the action too.

SonyNVPicture.jpg

A short video of the action.

th_SonyNV.jpg

I used my sony camcorder for years carcass watching with IR filter on the blitz but had never even heard of add ons so didn't get as far as yourself. If you've got the equipment sitting there why not make use of it. You need to post more with it to show how you get on with it. :thumbs:

Blackisler, many thanks for posting this up :)

Redeyejedi, the vid footage was at 70yds and the other picture was at 100yds.

Looks very useable indeed, off to ebay to get cheap handycam with nightshot!

Blackisler, many thanks for posting this up :)

Redeyejedi, the vid footage was at 70yds and the other picture was at 100yds.

Looks very useable indeed, off to ebay to get cheap handycam with nightshot!

Thanks mate, ive got a sony scope cam but i use a 80mw ir illuminator. not the best results and have been thinking about getting a deben tracer max pro to use with an ir filter. what model is your camcorder?

ATB

REDEYE

........what model is your camcorder?

ATB

REDEYE

It's a DCR DVD306, but to be honest you'd be better with one that records direct to a hard drive/memory card - this one records to mini-dvd's which makes it a tad big..

some good results with the deben lamp then, think thats my next purchase sorted. :thumbs:

I had an IR filter on a blitz it was fantastic. The trouble I had was scanning long distance you would loose the picture so you would have to zoom out and back in to regain focus. The max pro would work well with an IR filter when using the video camera as an add on especially only shooting lesser distances. (Im thinking under 150yrds)

I had an IR filter on a blitz it was fantastic. The trouble I had was scanning long distance you would loose the picture so you would have to zoom out and back in to regain focus. The max pro would work well with an IR filter when using the video camera as an add on especially only shooting lesser distances. (Im thinking under 150yrds)

You're right sako, focus is a pain at times, but I now set the camcorder to manual focus and that solves this issue. On measuring the distances in these 3 rabbit shots they were 35yds, 63yds and 75yds respectively (see video on link)

3 Rabbits

Knowing the land I have taken them from further, they didn't appear clear last night, maybe had something to do with the muck that found it's way onto the lens of the camcorder :doh: .

I was scanning the ground with a NV Monocular that I bought from Aldi for £69.99, it worked well on it's own up to 80-100m but when used along with the Deben Tracer Pro Max with IR filter it was EXCELLENT, could see all clearly and not just the area illuminated by the centre of the beam - and could see easy for 200+m (had to keep the beam turned down as the IR requirement of the Monocular is low)

You're right sako, focus is a pain at times, but I now set the camcorder to manual focus and that solves this issue. On measuring the distances in these 3 rabbit shots they were 35yds, 63yds and 75yds respectively (see video on link)

3 Rabbits

Knowing the land I have taken them from further, they didn't appear clear last night, maybe had something to do with the muck that found it's way onto the lens of the camcorder :doh: .

I was scanning the ground with a NV Monocular that I bought from Aldi for £69.99, it worked well on it's own up to 80-100m but when used along with the Deben Tracer Pro Max with IR filter it was EXCELLENT, could see all clearly and not just the area illuminated by the centre of the beam - and could see easy for 200+m (had to keep the beam turned down as the IR requirement of the Monocular is low)

My problem was I didn't have a mono for spotting, I was using the cam corder to spot and then put the lamp on to shoot. Hindsight eh! I could have been shooting with nv years ago. :doh:

Last night was amazing for nv with it being so clear and with the bright moonlight it was rediculous the distance's that could be viewed even without extra IR.

You are right about the lamp with the IR filter they do a good job. I've gone to an IR laser these days just for convienience but it defeats the purpose of cheap nv. I seem to have a bad habbit of spending when it comes to nv now I've got the bug!