Obsession with breeding lines.

Why is it people especially in this part of the forum, get obsessed with the breeding of there terriers. If they work well for you and your happy with the dog why should it matter who the sire and dam are. Obviously if the sire and dam are proven workers then breed but everyone argues on here that these lines are the best and this blokes line is shit and he is a bull shitter etc.

Alot of people on here seem to spend more time bitching on the internet rather than getting out.

• Like 2

Why is it people especially in this part of the forum, get obsessed with the breeding of there terriers. If they work well for you and your happy with the dog why should it matter who the sire and dam are. Obviously if the sire and dam are proven workers then breed but everyone argues on here that these lines are the best and this blokes line is shit and he is a bull shitter etc.

Alot of people on here seem to spend more time bitching on the internet rather than getting out.

too right fella

Maybe.......the digging lark has got harder and harder that its easier to chat about lines of dogs than it is to actually talk about grafting the dogs.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

• Like 1

Maybe.......the digging lark has got harder and harder that its easier to chat about lines of dogs than it is to actually talk about grafting the dogs.

When the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

true words waz :notworthy:

fukcing hell ya darent talk about grafting dogs on here might as well call it the wannabe a hunter life site full a grassers. need a more private site dedicated to the real doggers this is a bit too open.you darent put pics up after watch what ya post if its not rspca watching or antis its dog thieves trying to work out were ya from to nick ya best grafting dogs

• Like 4

the more famous the line the more dollars some can charge for pups and studs :thumbdown::thumbdown: , folk trace back pedigrees then can quote a famous dog or breeder when they talking the talk . they dont like to say some bloke from a council estate near me gave me the dog , they will bypass his name and quote the most famous dog or breeder in the ped or whoever is the flavour of the month , and lets face it they have all pissed in the same pot at one time or another :yes: . its comical realy that follk use untried or pet dogs to keep the line (name) :sick: . if you cant find the blood your looking for there must be a reason ? some good dogs about out there and they not all owned by the film stars of the job :bye::bye::bye:

spot on couldnt agree more

the more famous the line the more dollars some can charge for pups and studs :thumbdown::thumbdown: , folk trace back pedigrees then can quote a famous dog or breeder when they talking the talk . they dont like to say some bloke from a council estate near me gave me the dog , they will bypass his name and quote the most famous dog or breeder in the ped or whoever is the flavour of the month , and lets face it they have all pissed in the same pot at one time or another :yes: . its comical realy that follk use untried or pet dogs to keep the line (name) :sick: . if you cant find the blood your looking for there must be a reason ? some good dogs about out there and they not all owned by the film stars of the job :bye::bye::bye:

many men out there dont want to be found or have a big name like some famous dog breeders :thumbs::thumbs:

many men out there dont want to be found or have a big name like some famous dog breeders :thumbs::thumbs:

dont know about many , maybe a few :victory: . they are the ones not suffering from MY LINE SYNDROME the Latin name being mystuffieouse . its very common amongst terrier breeders and very contagious :feck: . KEEP YOUR DISTANCE would be my advice ;)

Lines, if inbred or linebred, have their special characteristics. You might be looking for some of those.

However; how sure can you be a dog is bred like it is bred if you only have the word or a hand written piece of paper?

No more than when it has an "official" pedigree; prior to DNA testing there was as much fake in those as anywhere else. You could easily fill in another stud as the sire of your litter on the paper.

On the other hand, some of those who only just work their dogs and got one off me, never really asked for even a hand written pedigree. Some know that all my dogs just hunt useful for our hunts, or have seen them work, although some have their favorites and would prefger a pup off a certain dog, and all that I keep and breed with, hunt untill they drop. Although they may not be your ideal because we hunt differently over here.

As a terrier person and breeder of my own and other people's stock, I think bloodlines are important. For breeders, it should be, or ought to be important to know where your dogs come from, also further back, as it can make quite a difference in inheritence, health, etc. where they come from. Breeding consistently performing stock means that you have lines of just workers in your last, say, 5 to 10 generations, and no SHOW SHIT blood involved. That is just one of the things which should concern a breeder, and so, bloodlines and their characteristics concern a breeder. And if they produce good dogs it is something to be truly proud of.

It is also useful for other terrier people that people talk about their bloodlines, put pics of their dogs up here, tell hunting days about them, and how they behave, how their character is, how big or small they are, etc.

That makes it possible for breeders, and hunters, to exchange lines and dogs.

I don't stick to my own, or inbreed. If anyone's good terrier after having seen it work and heard of it, can add to my line or improve it, I will breed to it.

Although I breed my own dogs for 5 and more generations now, I have added others to it, and I wouldn't say I have my own line. Simply, anything that serves the cause will stay, and those that don't or can't, go.

But I can keep my eyes open and look for quality terriers over here, at least I can feast my eyes on some pics of British terriers as a foreigner, and so yes, it is useful that people present, and even boast about, their dogs, and they wouldn't if they wouldn't care, and wouldn't love them. And if there was nothing to talk about. (I guess.)

So you have a working dog which works well,suitable for breeding in the future but you don't care where it came from?So how does this work then when your deciding what to breed it to?Worker to worker regardless of how any of the siblings of the prefered dogs have worked or how the siblings of the father and mothers of these dogs worked?If ye just work terriers and buy them in then it doesn't matter but if you breed your own and want to continue breeding workers then knowledge = success and even at that there's no hard and fast rules.

Family history of your working dogs is vital to producing workers.Worker to worker has been proven not always to produce workers.

Think(but can be wrong) that the topic starter meant more the overly horney people for a certain line of dogs. Loads of people focus on anything from their prefered bloodline, good or not, hear somebody still say in the past "maar het bloed is goed"(the blood is good), and this about a curr of a dog.

Fact is that YES pedigree matters with reproducing your workers, as the more you know, the better you are able to pinpoint certain characteristics. But you always have to keep an open mind, and blood only matters if the dog in question is also a true repressentative of that blood.

Frank70

• Like 1

Think(but can be wrong) that the topic starter meant more the overly horney people for a certain line of dogs. Loads of people focus on anything from their prefered bloodline, good or not, hear somebody still say in the past "maar het bloed is goed"(the blood is good), and this about a curr of a dog.

Fact is that YES pedigree matters with reproducing your workers, as the more you know, the better you are able to pinpoint certain characteristics. But you always have to keep an open mind, and blood only matters if the dog in question is also a true repressentative of that blood.

Frank70

yep blood / pedigree are vital to a working dog and some are well thought out matings for the good of the job , BUT everybody you ever know that breeds a litter will allways give you a valid reason (in their opinion) for doing so .its up to you how much you get sucked in :tongue2: . sort the wheat from the chaff :boogie:

Frank70

yep blood / pedigree are vital to a working dog and some are well thought out matings for the good of the job , BUT everybody you ever know that breeds a litter will allways give you a valid reason (in their opinion) for doing so .its up to you how much you get sucked in :tongue2: . sort the wheat from the chaff :boogie:

Agree

Lines, if inbred or linebred, have their special characteristics. You might be looking for some of those.

However; how sure can you be a dog is bred like it is bred if you only have the word or a hand written piece of paper?

No more than when it has an "official" pedigree; prior to DNA testing there was as much fake in those as anywhere else. You could easily fill in another stud as the sire of your litter on the paper.

On the other hand, some of those who only just work their dogs and got one off me, never really asked for even a hand written pedigree. Some know that all my dogs just hunt useful for our hunts, or have seen them work, although some have their favorites and would prefger a pup off a certain dog, and all that I keep and breed with, hunt untill they drop. Although they may not be your ideal because we hunt differently over here.

As a terrier person and breeder of my own and other people's stock, I think bloodlines are important. For breeders, it should be, or ought to be important to know where your dogs come from, also further back, as it can make quite a difference in inheritence, health, etc. where they come from. Breeding consistently performing stock means that you have lines of just workers in your last, say, 5 to 10 generations, and no SHOW SHIT blood involved. That is just one of the things which should concern a breeder, and so, bloodlines and their characteristics concern a breeder. And if they produce good dogs it is something to be truly proud of.

It is also useful for other terrier people that people talk about their bloodlines, put pics of their dogs up here, tell hunting days about them, and how they behave, how their character is, how big or small they are, etc.

That makes it possible for breeders, and hunters, to exchange lines and dogs.

I don't stick to my own, or inbreed. If anyone's good terrier after having seen it work and heard of it, can add to my line or improve it, I will breed to it.

Although I breed my own dogs for 5 and more generations now, I have added others to it, and I wouldn't say I have my own line. Simply, anything that serves the cause will stay, and those that don't or can't, go.

But I can keep my eyes open and look for quality terriers over here, at least I can feast my eyes on some pics of British terriers as a foreigner, and so yes, it is useful that people present, and even boast about, their dogs, and they wouldn't if they wouldn't care, and wouldn't love them. And if there was nothing to talk about. (I guess.)

i think what happens alot is when two lads have a dog and bitch out of the same yard and think by putting them together they are keeping the line going while the yard owner would of never mated them . thats why i think proven stud dogs are as important to working terriers as lines are .thats my thinking anyway