Jagd terrier

It is curious that you over there, who have invented the terrier and still use it, need to import terriers from the continent now. You must have good ones at home, specially fit for your purpose.

Try and take a decent one then, a small one for digging, most are too big and most are used for the wild pigs in Germany. Many are too hard for their own good but some are not hard enough. They also tend to be a bit agressive to people and other dogs, but not always. Some of them are inobedient by nature and hunt far and independently and don't come back on command. Many rather bolt a fox than stay with it, they are being selected for that, since on the continent, the guns want the fox to bolt and then shoot, they don't want to dig.

The nose of the Jagd is fantastic, like a hound's, and they speak to warm lines.

Often, the Jagds are high strung and noisy in kennels. They are supposed to be quiet and balanced but many are not.

The breed also have some hereditary problems, they are rather inbred.

I live on the continent and have crossed my Jagdterriers with British working terriers to improve them...I wanted a terrier with the nose of a jagd and the size and quiet disposition of the English working terrier.

What did you cross them with? patterdale or russell?

i see a bitch over here few years back was well made bitch.. bred from man in tullamore had couple of stud dogs and bitchs at the time..but she lacked when came to working. the one ive seen on line look the job and look to work there game well..but this one just had the looks..but tats just one dog cant judge a breed from tat. hope u find the [bANNED TEXT] terrier .atb

Edited by lee micheal kennels

It is curious that you over there, who have invented the terrier and still use it, need to import terriers from the continent now. You must have good ones at home, specially fit for your purpose.

Try and take a decent one then, a small one for digging, most are too big and most are used for the wild pigs in Germany. Many are too hard for their own good but some are not hard enough. They also tend to be a bit agressive to people and other dogs, but not always. Some of them are inobedient by nature and hunt far and independently and don't come back on command. Many rather bolt a fox than stay with it, they are being selected for that, since on the continent, the guns want the fox to bolt and then shoot, they don't want to dig.

The nose of the Jagd is fantastic, like a hound's, and they speak to warm lines.

Often, the Jagds are high strung and noisy in kennels. They are supposed to be quiet and balanced but many are not.

I live on the continent and have crossed my Jagdterriers with British working terriers to improve them...I wanted a terrier with the nose of a jagd and the size and quiet disposition of the English working terrier.

jagdts are inbred? where? you can find big ones and small ones, same as any other terrier breed. there thousands and thousands of jagds all over the europe. there are well tested if not you can t breed them. there s no such a thing like bad dog just bad master jgdt is not for everyone. if you wanna know more about them make a trip or speak to people who breed them.Some people don t like them but there is no other breed in terrier world to compare.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a good Jagd for the same reason you crossed yours with a british working terrier, i have some great dogs here but i would like to introduce something new to my kennel as a lot of the best strains here are become too closely bred. A nice small sounder would suit. thanks for your info and advise.

It is not so easy as to say every dog is allright and the owner is to be faulted.

I have my line of crossed Jagd/ Fells now.

Not Patterdales, but out of two (fell?) (working Lakelands?) imported into Belgium and Holland over the last decade. One of them looked like a Bedlington, including soft long curly coat and topknot, but game tot the end. And I myself had a little white one dead game (died dead game at 11 years) who accidentally broke out when his girlfriend the Jagd came in heat, and I kept a pup. Only recently I heard that the sire told to me, wasn't the sire of that white dog, which makes him a fell or lakeland instead of a Russell, on both sides. All of the dogs I have now, carry his blood, though far away and diluted with other lines.

Anyway, I had problems with my Jagds as to inbreeding and obedience, and I have had terriers all my life, know them inside out, can train them, and refuse to use a Teletac. You know why? A teletac can "solve" many problems, but isn't it better to breed dogs which need no such things and are obedient by nature?

The inbreeding problems were that I went to expensive stud dogs in Germany with my (then) pedigree females and the male was hardly fertile and left my female barren, something which had never happened to her before and she was bred at the right moment for a lot of money, and I had to travel 450 kilomtres to get there. Another inbreeding problem with me was a hereditary auto immune disease which I got rid of after outcrossing. The reason they are so inbred is that they all come from just a few dogs, maybe only 5 or so, in 1920, and no addition of strange blood since. Also, there is lots of lens luxation and sometimes patella luxation and also the Legg- Perthes disease in Jagds. The club know of, and work on, the first but not the other two hereditary faults.

And I don't like people mean terriers who fight other dogs, run away, scream in kennels, and are an overall nuisance.

That's why I have crossed them and after selection, got rid of the problems.

2 years ago I bought another nice small pedigree Jagd pup from Germany, to breed some nose and voice back into my line I thought.

I had her from 8 weeks, loved her and gave her a lot of attention, treated her the same as my own dogs, but she ran off, incurably, was people mean, and was 100 % disobedient. She was heavily inbred (I know the pedigrees and bloodlines inside out.) Of course you can cure this with violent training methods, but I rather did away with her because she was 10 steps back as to what I had bred myself, my own dogs are quite obedient by nature, without any fighting problems, and friendly to me, and I never inbreed, don't need to, so I don't have any hereditary problems in any of my own dogs, but if I would find one or more, I would select and outcross again to any good, valuable and working line I can find anywhere. Whether in Britain, Germany or anywhere else.

But I am aware that the true terrier comes from Britain and there are many, many good ones over there and I can have them too, because I work my dogs and the other people who do so too, would help me out with much appreciated, top working stock. I think personally that a combination between the best British and German terriers can give you fantastic dogs, but you must know how to select each generation.

• 9 months later...

if you wanna best jgdt find some in Serbia, Croatia Slovakia, Hungary, Czech...they re not expensive and import dg to UK it s not a such a big deal.

i know some one who breeds them from serbia, they are used on everything if you want i will pm you details.

im lookin for jadg terrier..i was talkin to a boy from korea and he said it around £500 to import
  • 8 years later...