Ferreting on SSI Land

debur

Hi,not sure im posting this in the right place but would like to know if there are any issues regarding Ferreting on SSI land? I have permission from the land owner but thought I'd ask the question anyway.There are a couple of footpaths through the area so will come into contact with public and would like to know of any issues. thoughts anyone please !!!! :signthankspin:

Hi,not sure im posting this in the right place but would like to know if there are any issues regarding Ferreting on SSI land? I have permission from the land owner but thought I'd ask the question anyway.There are a couple of footpaths through the area so will come into contact with public and would like to know of any issues. thoughts anyone please !!!! :signthankspin:

It would help if you knew why it is a SSI. Special habitat ,rare plants etc.Then if approached by a curious member of public or an official you would be fore-armed with information and could end up appearing interesting and knowledgeable which would score both yourself and fieldsports a few brownie points .

To be honest I bet few ramblers even know the place is an SSI and SSI "officials" have no right of entry without the landowner's permission or along a footpath .

There are certain operations that may not be carried out in an SSI . These will have been already agreed between the Nature Concervancy Council(who ovdersaw such matters at the inception of SSIs) and the Landowner before the site was declared SSI . Generally a reasonable degree of maintainace and pest control is allowed and the fact that land has been designated an SSI must not cause a financial loss to the landowner. So it would be reasonable to control rabbits that were costing the farmer money by crop damage .

Certain more drastic work outside the original agreement needs to be cleared by the landowner .

In rare circumstances rabbit grazing is responsible for special habitats which are themselves of conservation interest but even then a need for control is often recognised .

I'm working from memory so it would be wise to check this information of course .

The farmer is responsible for knowing what is allowed on his SSI under the terms of his agreement . :thumbs:

Yes you are right regarding the SSI,as usual great feedback.I love my sport and don't want to create any bad press as there are always someone out there ready to have ago at Fieldsports in general.I'm alittle wary as landowners can at times bend the truth to suit!!!Will investigate further :thumbs:

Yes you are right regarding the SSI,as usual great feedback.I love my sport and don't want to create any bad press as there are always someone out there ready to have ago at Fieldsports in general.I'm alittle wary as landowners can at times bend the truth to suit!!!Will investigate further :thumbs:

all woods over 100 years and some less are sssi most are shot in moors have same thing but shot over all it is to save rare plants grass and stop felling trees at will if your ferreting no probblem 2 years ago we planted a hedge on sssi rabbits eaten it off n england told us to get rid of rabbits as they most be controld by law

all woods over 100 years and some less are sssi most are shot in moors have same thing but shot over all it is to save rare plants grass and stop felling trees at will if your ferreting no probblem 2 years ago we planted a hedge on sssi rabbits eaten it off n england told us to get rid of rabbits as they most be controld by law

I thought there used to be a law in place regarding the obligation of landowners to control damage but does it still exist?The area i'ved been asked to ferret contains an area of dunes and has a couple of footpaths right through it,so i want to do my homework!

Its the same as every other piece of ground as regards ferreting it ,but they might not be keen on you digging if its a sssi for plants

Fair comment,i neeed to find out what the SSI status is for.Hopefully there won't be to much digging!!!Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbs: