one off Pigeon shooting offered

Hi guys, I am looking for about 4 guys to give me a bash on some of my permission, cant promise the best shooting ever but hard to say. I dont want anything for the shooting but if anyone interested I wouldn't turn my nose up at a box of shells for the day, hope thats not too cheeky.

I would be looking for guys with vehicles and equipment and respect for the land they will be shooting on, sensible people only no rambo's.

The land is almost all rape and very large fields with bordering forestry woods, the rape is being stripped by flocks of up to 3000 birds but mainly of 100-300. I have tried on my own but you know the score with rape a couple of bangs and they just drop a field away, frustrating when you can see them.

The land has access to some areas, some is heavy going but good vehicles can manage it, otherwise its a walk across the fields with the gear. I am looking to shoot from just after first light while late-ish as the birds tend to come in droves and there could be quiet spells.

I have not shot it much the last time I could only stay a couple of hours and had 26, but had to sit and watch the birds as they dropped the other side of the field after every shot, frustrating, thats why I need help.

There may be opportunities in future as I have about 25,000 acres which I cover, I have been mainly concentrating on the rabbits while the game shoots finished but now the pigeons need some looking at.

Cheers

Steve

Predatorman and his mate took me up on the offer of a days pigeon shooting, they came down today and had a bash. I had checked the rape fields in question the day before and it was barron of pigeons, I didn't want them to have a journey for nothing so decided to take them on one of my local farms. We could split up on there as there are a few maize strips that have plenty of pigeon activity, well that is when you are not shooting them.

The morning was pretty damp to say the least, not good pigeon weather at all but the forecase was looking good. I set the guys up on the strips I thought best and flagged the rest to avoid them dropping on them. It was pretty slow first thing, even though there were thousands of birds in the air, they just semmed to be dropping in the distant woods. It was just a matter of time until they got hungry enough to set their feet on the wet ground and be a little more accommodating.

The surrounding farms were also being shot the same day, we had arranged this to bounce the birds to our advantage, well in theory that is. It was a couple of hours before they started to come in, even then they were very reluctant and mainly in singles and doubles, I dont mind that but they were few and far between. It took another hour before we saw any real action, then they came in small flocks but not how we would have expected it considering I have not shot the pigeons on here yet this year. Where I was I got plenty of singles and I decided to get the sbs out and shoot a few with steel for someones hawks, I was impressed at my hit rate much better than my last time out but I was more relaxed this time.

I could hear Predatorman blasting away so knew he was getting a few but there just wasn't the numbers I thought there would be, thats pigeon shooting for you.

It turned out to be a glorious day, the sun became a hinderance where I was though, the birds came out of the sun like japanese zeros and this reduced my hit rate a bit, very hard to shoot into the sun.

The day passed on and it was time to wrap up, I had shot 97 shells on count up, picked up 48 birds, lost 10 through walking wounded and birds that dropped into the rough (need a gundog) and also another 3 that took a get better pill and flew off after being "dead" for ages. So I reckon 61 birds down for 97 shots, roughly 1.5 shots per bird so not that bad really.

I drove over to predatorman, he was on par with 43 birds but unfortunately his mate was just off the birds and had to watch them rather than shoot them, it happens to us all.

All in all not a bad day, no great numbers but its not always about shooting loads but being there and enjoying it and that we did,

dean43pigeons.jpg

46woodies.jpg

Nice shooting lads ,it was a funny old day with plenty of birds in the area but even in that wind they were very high to say the least our mate did better than i had thought tho as we picked up 51 so not to bad but with the amount that was around was hoping for more but thats pigeon shooting .

Bet there back on there in a few days the little buggers lol

Yes mate they will be back and hopefully easier targets. I will try and have a bash next week sometime and polish a few more off. Had a good do with that sbs but with it being double trigger if feckin bangs your finger using the front trigger.

I will probs have another bash next wednesday if there back on tho think if the weather stays any good will have alot of drilling in that area

Yes mate they will be back and hopefully easier targets. I will try and have a bash next week sometime and polish a few more off. Had a good do with that sbs but with it being double trigger if feckin bangs your finger using the front trigger.

I will probs have another bash next wednesday if there back on tho think if the weather stays any good will have alot of drilling in that area

Yeh mate that will have an effect on the situation, Robert ploughing that field near res tomorrow so that may be drilled next week. Let me know if your going and I will sort a day to do Roberts and bounce them.

hi all, just like to take the opportunity to thank steve on a great day out. like he mentioned, the birds stayed high for most of the day although it was a sight to behold when a pigeon decided it wanted "in" how they folded their wings up and dropped like stones before putting the brakes on to attempt the landing in the decoys. i ended up with 43 birds for 102 shots, not my best average but there were some testing shots that makes it all worthwhile where you see the pigeon cartwheeling to the floor! in all, a great day with guy who knows his stuff. cheers steve :thumbs:

The birds have returned to the rape fields, I have just been spotting and there are thousands about again and they seem to be split up more than they have been recently which is a good thing. So the offer is back on the table, if anyone wishes to have a day and willing to donate a couple of boxes of shells to me then I think we may be on for a bit of sport. Cheap as chips for a days shooting, you must have the gear though, netting, deeks, transport and pref a rotary, it will make a big difference.

I would be looking at maybe this saturday or one day next week, as always I will do my best to put you on some birds, cant always guarantee they will oblige but thats pigeon shooting for you.