Lurcher VS Whippet

Hi all,

As im thinking of getting some sort of running dog in a year or so after I have done some serious research!

So if you could give me some Pros on Cons on lurchers and whippets it would be a massive help to help decide what breed of dog to further research and decide what breed to get!

Thanks Guys

NWH

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father in law worked and bred whippets. He used to call my lurchers "mongrels" and generally take the piss (! as father in laws do!!)   5 years later he doesn't own one whippet - but has 4 lurche

lurcher all the way

What an open question mate.   What do you want from the dog mate? Daytime mooching and lamping? Just lamping? Ferreting?   Assuming you want something small? What sort of ground do you run? Big fi

Posted Images

22 and 23" whippets are above standard so why anyone would want a 22 or 23" whippet is beyond me aswell with a lurcher then. Depends the type of land you run and what you aim to catch for a ferreting dog a decent whippet is more than suitable they also lamp well on decent ground but can be a little less usefull on sertain places due to there line of vision i personaly go for whippet everytime but i mainly ferret and all i ever run is rabbits i also have plenty shooting permision so all i need from my dogs is a ferreter and the odd nite on the lamp

Always going to cause arguments - its just down to personal preferance when it is between a small well bred lurcher and a well bred whippet. Trying to compare a 21/22 inch whippet and a 27 inch bull cross or something is pointless. A small lurcher or a whippet should be able to both do the same jobs, whippet being probably a bit faster and faster take off, and a lurcher probably having a tougher coat etc (obviously depends on breed). Only thing is, some lurchers are easier to train for a first dog than many whippets, but again sometimes this isnt true. A pretty subjective question really.

My father in law worked and bred whippets. He used to call my lurchers "mongrels" and generally take the piss (! as father in laws do!!)

5 years later he doesn't own one whippet - but has 4 lurchers - that speaks volumes to me. LOL

• Like 2

What an open question mate.

What do you want from the dog mate? Daytime mooching and lamping? Just lamping? Ferreting?

Assuming you want something small? What sort of ground do you run? Big fields? Small fields? Rough terrain? Flat smooth fields?

Do you want rough coat? Would you be happy with a whippets coat?

Put all the answers to above questions and I bet you will get some good suggestions.

All the best.

Gaz.

• Like 1

Not all lurchers are massive. I've got a beddy/whippet/greyhound and shes about 20" TTS. But she's the best dog ever, brilliant all rounder. Use her for ferreting and lamping, and she doesnt miss many whatever the ground is like!

Edited by PoCk0

All lurchers are different - what you thinking of? I'd put my whip against a lot of lurchers the same size. One thing i think he has a lot more of than many lurchers lb for lb and that developed at a young age is prey drive! He's f*****g mental and convinced he's a 90lb bull x.

What an open question mate.

What do you want from the dog mate? Daytime mooching and lamping? Just lamping? Ferreting?

Assuming you want something small? What sort of ground do you run? Big fields? Small fields? Rough terrain? Flat smooth fields?

Do you want rough coat? Would you be happy with a whippets coat?

Put all the answers to above questions and I bet you will get some good suggestions.

All the best.

Gaz.

very well put mate

Ok thanks guys ill be using the dog for lamping and ferreting on hilly farm land (farm feilds)

Hope that helps more on pointing me on which type of breed to go for!

Please add more opinions!

Thanks

NWH

You been out to see either type work? Or know anyone who has running dogs? What kind of lurcher attracts you? For a first time dog i would go collie/grey or collie/grey/whip or something. But to be honest your better off just looking for the best bred litter you can find, our of two dogs doing what you want your do to end up doing.

Ok thanks guys ill be using the dog for lamping and ferreting on hilly farm land (farm feilds)

Hope that helps more on pointing me on which type of breed to go for!

Please add more opinions!

Thanks

NWH

You been out to see either type work? Or know anyone who has running dogs? What kind of lurcher attracts you? For a first time dog i would go collie/grey or collie/grey/whip or something. But to be honest your better off just looking for the best bred litter you can find, our of two dogs doing what you want your do to end up doing.