Some advice....

Guys. Tonight i had a phone call from a mate off mine, who in turn had a call from his mate. Now to cut a story short, i have now got permission on at least 1000 acres which hold 4 to 500 head off dear. This chap is having problems with foxes taking young, and ive been offered the opportunity to control them. i have a visit lined up for wednesday coming to put a name to a face etc. An agreement ie permission will be signed off course, but is their anything i should know before i go. I also understand he wants any stray dogs to be shot on HIS LAND. Should i out this down on paper to control incase off any complications.

SORRY MODS, can you move this to the correct section.

Edited by mayfly

Hi mate,

i'd ask the farmer to nominate you to take dogs causing distress to his stock just in case the need arises and that you have the permission to control the problem in writting,

along with the permission to hunt both fox and deer on his lands,

This will cover all events which you may encounter, Thats a nice population of deer to look after, and you should have more than a few foxes on there too,

But i'd think the foxes are the main problem with the stock... sheep i take it...???

Good luck and happy hunting,

Snap.

Hi mate,

i'd ask the farmer to nominate you to take dogs causing distress to his stock just in case the need arises and that you have the permission to control the problem in writting,

along with the permission to hunt both fox and deer on his lands,

This will cover all events which you may encounter, Thats a nice population of deer to look after, and you should have more than a few foxes on there too,

But i'd think the foxes are the main problem with the stock... sheep i take it...???

Good luck and happy hunting,

Snap.

hi snap, believe it or not, theyre taking the fawns. This happens when theyre birthing, he lost alot last year, so i think its to get a grip on it beofre the birthing begins.

Edited by mayfly

Guys. Tonight i had a phone call from a mate off mine, who in turn had a call from his mate. Now to cut a story short, i have now got permission on at least 1000 acres which hold 4 to 500 head off dear. This chap is having problems with foxes taking young, and ive been offered the opportunity to control them. i have a visit lined up for wednesday coming to put a name to a face etc. An agreement ie permission will be signed off course, but is their anything i should know before i go. I also understand he wants any stray dogs to be shot on HIS LAND. Should i out this down on paper to control incase off any complications.

Not sure about the legal side of things over there,but,I would be a little careful shooting any dog,and it would certainly pay(in my opinion)to talk to the local police to make sure of your legal position,cos you could maybe end up losing your cert.As far as the permission is concerned get a map of the land from Google earth and get him to put down his boundries on the map,so anyone that might object at anytime will be able to see the map and the signature of the landowner.Also get him to put all of the quarry that he will allow you to control on the permission as well,oh and good luyck mate.

Martin

Is it a deer farm your getting the permission...?

Any dog running amuck need taking care off, Its never a nice job but they can do alot of damage in such a short space of time,

i had to take out a dog about 10 years ago that killed 3 pure bred texels and a lamb, to the tune of over 3K

the owner was standing at the gate of the field when i pulled the trigger, And wanted to go legal, when the farmer pulled up and said please do i'll be glad to sue for the loss

of my stock if you do.... that ended the crap...

never nice but always a necessity......

Snap.

Not sure about the legal side of things over there,but,I would be a little careful shooting any dog,and it would certainly pay(in my opinion)to talk to the local police to make sure of your legal position,cos you could maybe end up losing your cert.As far as the permission is concerned get a map of the land from Google earth and get him to put down his boundries on the map,so anyone that might object at anytime will be able to see the map and the signature of the landowner.Also get him to put all of the quarry that he will allow you to control on the permission as well,oh and good luyck mate.

Martin

Cheers Martin, no problem over here with strays. 1 off my permissions lost 6,000 worth of sheep 6 weeks ago to a collie and larger alb type cross, the collie rounded them up, and the other slaughtered them, he hadnt got my number at the time or my dads, but both dogs were destroyed within 15 minutes, as you said i have permissioM frOm this farmer "sheep" to destroy any dOgs that are on his land, IN WRITING.

yes snap its a deer farmer.

Edited by mayfly

the owner was standing at the gate of the field when i pulled the trigger,

Snap.

Whilst i am FUULY aware what damage a Dog can do to stock (two friend's within yards of my house are Sheep an Cattle Farmers) That's something to be proud of???????? An Rifle an Shotgun owners like my self wonder WHY we get classed a "MURDERING MORRONS" Did you EVER stop to think 99% of the time it is the OWNERS of the Dogs Fault. if you and your Farmer was so confident of proving it was the Owner of the Dog at Fault why did he NOT get takin to court??????? nar took the easy opion shot the DOG. I WOULD AV TOOK BOTH you AND the FARMER to the cleaner's well thats NOT true my dogs are Trained Gun Dog's YES the SHOOTING WORLD wants people like you Touting the Countryside with Firearms "NOT" :thumbdown::censored:

the owner was standing at the gate of the field when i pulled the trigger,

Snap.

Whilst i am FUULY aware what damage a Dog can do to stock (two friend's within yards of my house are Sheep an Cattle Farmers) That's something to be proud of???????? An Rifle an Shotgun owners like my self wonder WHY we get classed a "MURDERING MORRONS" Did you EVER stop to think 99% of the time it is the OWNERS of the Dogs Fault. if you and your Farmer was so confident of proving it was the Owner of the Dog at Fault why did he NOT get takin to court??????? nar took the easy opion shot the DOG. I WOULD AV TOOK BOTH you AND the FARMER to the cleaner's well thats NOT true my dogs are Trained Gun Dog's YES the SHOOTING WORLD wants people like you Touting the Countryside with Firearms "NOT" :thumbdown::censored:

The owner only came to the gate after he heard the shot as he just lived across the road {hence the comment standing at the gate} and HAD lost animals in the past, So had no option but to destroy dogs roaming his land,

he wanted no trouble with the the public, And the police were on the scene,

I know all to well that there are moron's out there with guns but i assure you i'm not one of hem, The OWNER DIDN'T Tell the dog to KILL the sheep it was the dog that

done it, although i blame the owner too for not looking after his animal...

And you would not of had a leg to stand on if it did happen to BE your dog.... And IT was roaming free, the LAW Is clear on that front when livestock are threatened...

I've had guns since i was old enough to own one legally and never have i been classed as a gun toating moron, even during military service..........

i never said i enjoyed the task but it had to be done, ITs not my fault your too thick to understand why it needed to be done....

yours in shooting...

Snap.

ITs not my fault your too thick to understand why it needed to be done....yours in shooting...

Snap.

struck a raw nerve there have we????? well you have showed your true colours by reverting to the above. Perhap's it is indeed "YOU" that should not only read the Law but FULLY understand the Law :wallbash: As i stated i am FULLY aware of Dog's can an do cause horrific damge to live stock, again perhaps you should re-read your post. Really somthing to put on a Forum to be seen by who ever?????? Now i would bet that 100% you broke the Law "FACT". So "PLEASE" dont go shouting your mouth of I AM THICK just av a quite word an think to your self what you posted and LETS see who has come across AS you put it (not me) "THICK" :whistling:

You seem to have all the answers mate,

IF in fact i had broken the law then i would of been shipped off ASAP... FACT, So if you could enlighten me as to which law you think i broke then please say....

And maybe WE might all learn something from you....!!!!! you threw the first insult NOT me,

but i would be interested to see which law you think i broke,

Snap.

mayfly just be aware that you need not worry about taking animals causing distress to livestock,

i've only ever had about 2 or 3 times where i have been insulted by someone on here As to not knowing what i'm at with a gun...!!!!

Do you think i'd still have a firearms ticket IF i did break the law, ????? And under certain circumstances you can in fact shoot the animal without fear of the law,

the owner broke several laws concerning the dog, As it did not have a collar, was not under control, running free on agricultural land, killing and worrying ewe's which were in lamb, and some lambed,

all the very best...

Snap.

• Like 2

Hi Snap,I have various farms that I have sole permition to shoot over, On one particular farm there has always been a problem with dogs worrying livestock both horses and sheep,between people who open thier door in the nearby village and just let thier dogs roam and people who walk dogs without a lead that are clearly out of control some of whom do not even carry a lead when they are out,after consultation with the local police force the landowner put up warning signs that state dog must be kept on a lead at all times and dogs found off the lead would be classed as "out of control" due to the fact that all of the land is used for horse riding and that any dog found "out of control" would be shot.I was a bit shocked when I first saw the signs I spoke to the landowner who told me that the wording of the signs had been cleared with the local police office,I contacted my feo who advised me to get written permition from the landowner that includes the fact that I would be required to shoot any dogs that were "out of control".It states on my firearms certificate that my firearm may be used for "The shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans" I think if the need arose and I ended up in court I would be quoting what is clearly written on my licence. If I were in your position mate I would have done exactly the same espacially when the dog was worrying the livestock as it had to be stopped immediately,Shooting of dogs is not something that anyone would like to do and for me it is the last resort,I always carry a dog lead when on this farm and have handed about a dozen dogs into the dog wardens pound this I find hits the owners in the pocket as it costs them about £75 to get the dog back I have handed one particular dog in about three times next time its caught its going to a dog pound a good bit further away.I have chatted with a few of the dog walkers that use the farm and they understand why the landowner is taking the measures that they have but there are one or two that think they should be able to let thier dog run,but they have had the warning.Seems different people read the law and twist it to suit thierselves but if your dog is "out of control" you do not have a leg to stand on.

Mayfly,good luck with your new ground and get the signs up and get the landowner to stipulate the need to shoot "out of control "dogs may be worth a chat with your local police and your feo for advice.

Edited by Night Hunter

Hi Snap,I have various farms that I have sole permition to shoot over, On one particular farm there has always been a problem with dogs worrying livestock both horses and sheep,between people who open thier door in the nearby village and just let thier dogs roam and people who walk dogs without a lead that are clearly out of control some of whom do not even carry a lead when they are out,after consultation with the local police force the landowner put up warning signs that state dog must be kept on a lead at all times and dogs found off the lead would be classed as "out of control" due to the fact that all of the land is used for horse riding and that any dog found "out of control" would be shot.I was a bit shocked when I first saw the signs I spoke to the landowner who told me that the wording of the signs had been cleared with the local police office,I contacted my feo who advised me to get written permition from the landowner that includes the fact that I would be required to shoot any dogs that were "out of control".It states on my firearms certificate that my firearm may be used for "The shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans" I think if the need arose and I ended up in court I would be quoting what is clearly written on my licence. If I were in your position mate I would have done exactly the same espacially when the dog was worrying the livestock as it had to be stopped immediately,Shooting of dogs is not something that anyone would like to do and for me it is the last resort,I always carry a dog lead when on this farm and have handed about a dozen dogs into the dog wardens pound this I find hits the owners in the pocket as it costs them about £75 to get the dog back I have handed one particular dog in about three times next time its caught its going to a dog pound a good bit further away.I have chatted with a few of the dog walkers that use the farm and they understand why the landowner is taking the measures that they have but there are one or two that think they should be able to let thier dog run,but they have had the warning.Seems different people read the law and twist it to suit thierselves but if your dog is "out of control" you do not have a leg to stand on.

Sense at last.......:thumbs:

And the law clearly states that you may shoot dogs that are NOT UNDER CONTROL WORRYING LIVESTOCK..........

And that the owner can be done under sereral differing laws, IF the farmer wants to go down that path, The farmer i refered to lives about 3 miles from town

and was fed up with the open the front door attitude..... but he didn't want to fall out with the locals by taking court action, As it is a small close knit town mainly..

And if the land owner give you permission to dispach said outta contol animals then you are legally entitled to do so, under law....

and the following laws are in you favour.........

Animals Act 1971

You could be liable for damage caused by your dog under this Act or under some degree of negligence. It is highly advisable to have third party liability insurance to cover this, something that is included in most pet and some household insurance policies.

Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953

Your dog must not worry (chase or attack) livestock (cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses and poultry) on agricultural land, so keep your dog on a lead around livestock. If your dog worries livestock, the farmer has the right to stop your dog (even by shooting your dog in certain circumstances).

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (section 3)

It is a criminal offence (for the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog) to allow a dog to be 'dangerously out of control' in a public place, a place where it is not permitted to be, and some other areas. A 'dangerously out of control' dog can be defined as a dog that has injured someone or a dog that a person has grounds for reasonable apprehension that it may do so. Something as simple as your dog chasing, barking at or jumping up at a person or child could lead to a complaint, so ensure that your dog is under control at all times. If your dog injures a person, it may be seized by the police and your penalty may include a prison sentence and/or a ban on keeping dogs. There is also an automatic presumption that your dog will be destroyed (unless you can persuade the court that it is not a danger to the public, in which case it may be subject to a control order). You may also have to pay a fine, compensation and costs.

The Control of Dogs Order 1992

This mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

Dogs Act 1871

It is a civil offence if a dog is dangerous (to people or animals) and not kept under proper control (generally regarded as not on a lead nor muzzled). This law can apply wherever the incident happened. The dog can be subject to a control or a destruction order and you may have to pay costs.

As you stated no one likes doing it, or ever wants too but where there is no option it is necessary and the law is on your side.... but its not an open ticket to shoot just anything roaming...

i hope that this clears the air for others who find themselves in the same dilema............

Snap.