Help [BANNED TEXT] licences plz

Your only issue might be the pigeons. All wild birds are protected by the widlife act, but there are general licences in place for the control of pigeons, but there are specific reasons and conditions you need to satisfy before you can shoot them.

Go to the BASC site and download this years general licences, and make sure you meet the requirements.

As for rabbits, the whole of the UK is a rabbit clearance zone, with the exception of a few small areas, so you can/must shoot them or control them.

Squirrels are classed as vermin (grey) so can be shot. Ditto rats. Pheasants you know about already.

Hi folks,

Could someone explain to me how the general licenses actually work?

Who are the "authorized persons" mentioned in General Licence's conditions?

Cheers,

Tomek.

They're not clearly defined anywhere in law, but precedent says that the "approved person" can be the landowner or the landowners agent, taken to mean someone that has been given permission by the landowner to carry out such activities.

• Like 1

They're not clearly defined anywhere in law, but precedent says that the "approved person" can be the landowner or the landowners agent, taken to mean someone that has been given permission by the landowner to carry out such activities.

Cheers for that, I get it now.

I'm not doubting anybody, but I find it very hard to believe that any farmers would actually give permission to shoot pheasants. Most farms are tied into a shoot somewhere, and shooting their game birds isn't going to endear anybody!

I don't have a problem with shooting pheasants at all, I just can't get my head around the idea that permission would be granted for such a thing.

I'm not doubting anybody, but I find it very hard to believe that any farmers would actually give permission to shoot pheasants. Most farms are tied into a shoot somewhere, and shooting their game birds isn't going to endear anybody!

I don't have a problem with shooting pheasants at all, I just can't get my head around the idea that permission would be granted for such a thing.

Most places I go let me shoot what I like in return for the free vermin control ! :thumbs:

You have to remember,,we`re doing THEM the favour, so don`t be shy about asking for something in return!

Ron, you'd be surprised by the number that do allow it! I know several farms where pheasants from a next door shoot are a serious pest problem, and for one reason or another the farmer doesn't get on with the shoot and is more than happy to let anyone shoot the pheasants that cross over onto their land.

My father used to own a house that was in a village that was encompassed by the Queens Estate at Sandringham. He used to grow his own vegetables and had a hell of a problem with the pheasants coming in and eating seeds he has sown in the autumn for spring broccoli and the like. He used to sit in his bedroom window with his BSA he bought specially for the job.

Got seen by a keeper dropping them in his own land and surprise surprise, keeper appears at the back door not being too polite, my father informs him that they may be her maj's pheasants by birth, but he is allowed to shoot them on his own land. Keeper goes ballistic threatens dad with his shotgun so father calls his next door neighbour who is watching the argument to call the police. Said police rock up in a fast car as firearms are involved and apprehend keeper. Keeper gets read the riot act about inappropriate use of shotgun. Keeper and shotgun removed by aforementioned coppers and later a nice apology from the estate was received.

As my father stated his land, his seeds, he was stopping them!

My father used to own a house that was in a village that was encompassed by the Queens Estate at Sandringham. He used to grow his own vegetables and had a hell of a problem with the pheasants coming in and eating seeds he has sown in the autumn for spring broccoli and the like. He used to sit in his bedroom window with his BSA he bought specially for the job.

Got seen by a keeper dropping them in his own land and surprise surprise, keeper appears at the back door not being too polite, my father informs him that they may be her maj's pheasants by birth, but he is allowed to shoot them on his own land. Keeper goes ballistic threatens dad with his shotgun so father calls his next door neighbour who is watching the argument to call the police. Said police rock up in a fast car as firearms are involved and apprehend keeper. Keeper gets read the riot act about inappropriate use of shotgun. Keeper and shotgun removed by aforementioned coppers and later a nice apology from the estate was received.

As my father stated his land, his seeds, he was stopping them!