Put a Deposit down on my first Rifle Today

Hi Guys

Just thought id share with you that my names Jono im 20 Years old Im Currently applying for my FAC I had my heart set on a .17 HMR because of the pure power and accuracy ... Until I Went to My Local Dealer today and he recommended for a first Rifle to go for the .22LR (He said hes shot rabbits at just over 100 Yards with one of these)

So i took his word for it, He had 2 Guns there for me to look at. One Being a Brand New Synthetic MagTech 7022 for £100

and the other Being a 1965 "something" CZ £110

I had a feel of both of them and a quick hold and the Fact that its So light and obviously in my eyes Brand Spanker i was just so drawn towards the Magtech although ive not read the best reviews about them. But to be honest its going to do me fine for my first Rifle in my opinion.

£100 for Rifle .... Moderator ... Japanese Scope = £200

What do you all think? Think ive made the right choice??

Jono

It will all depend on your situation mate.How close you can get to the rabbits ,how good you are at shooting(especially if you intend to shoot at 100yds with a 22lr),what your budget is (ammo is alot cheaper for 22lr),what is the ground you shoot like (22lr ricochet more than 17)plus morethat others will no doubt point out :thumbs: I loved my 17 for accuracy etc but the loise let it down a good bit for certain areas so I started using it only when foxing but eventually decided to get rid of it when getting my 243 as there wouldnt be much use for it for me,but it was still a great rifle but I just need to get that bit closer now with the 22 so its all down to what you need but you cant beat the old tried and tested 22. :notworthy:

The .22LR is the most popular chambering of them all, and for good reason! It's a versatile, cheap and readily available round, and most gun cabinets will have one in them.

Rabbits at 100 yards are achievable, if you're good.

It's quiet (totally silent for a bolt action firing subs through a decent moderator) and has plenty of power to deal with small vermin.

I don't understand what everyone sees in the .17, unless you want to be shooting out at the extremes of the range capability. It is noisy, wind prone and expensive.

The only gain that I have heard stated regularly other than range is that it's less prone to ricochet. This may be true, but if you follow good safety techniques then ricochet is not an issue.

As for which rifle, you won't go far wrong with a Brno, though for a cheap semi, the MagTech (if it's new then it will be the Mossberg made version) gets good reports. Either will do the job fine, with a reasonably priced scope and a decent moderator.

If you want to become a serious rifle shooter you start with a .22 lr. Full stop, end of. Don't push the range, 75 yds will put a lot of wabbits in your bag. At that price the Mag will do all you ask of it. There are a lot of shooters who don't realise that the problem ain't the gun it's the gunman!

ATB, Ric

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated i wouldnt expect to go out even within the first few months and be striking them down even at 80 yards i think itll take alot of practise and trying out of different techniques and getting used to the drop of the bullet and windage etc as its all new to me!!

Ive been watching aload of "zinaroon's" videos on youtube on shooting and follow through etc all stuff ive learnt and am going to have to put into practise!

Like one of you have mentioned im going to zero in at 60 yards. Which seems quite a comfortable range and will produce a nice clean and quick Kill.

I guess if i can set myself up and be patient enough i will get the results at 50-60-70 yards with being seen too easily.

One of the bonuses that pushed me towards a .22 was the moderation as have seen alot of people say that they can be quieter than a pellet gun! Which obviously works to an advantage if youve come into a group of rabbits especially a Semi-auto (providing it doesnt jam)

Does anyone recomend aiming for the chest area first just to get used to how the gun performs and reacts etc..??

Jono

well enjoy your new gun,get plenty ammo,print of some target,s,make a target board,get a laser range finder,very helpful when your first starting,lot of peeps on the forums could do with one,when you read some of their posts,pure fantasy merchants,in fact a couple of target boards are better,and spend a bit of time,a lot of time would be better,get to know your ranges by sight,and how the rifle shoots,stick a target up at 18 yds,zero your scope in and you wont be far off,at 50/60 yds,you will quickly learn,its easier and quicker to walk 18 yds all day than 60,i like the shoot n see target sticker,s,as we check our zero every time we go out,only takes 5 mins,again 18 yds is easy to sort out without paceing all over the field,and the aim of all this practice is to be able to shoot your target where you need to,iE,in the head,dont be one of these that goes about bragging or putting pic,s up of gut shot bunnies,telling how he can shoot rabbits at xx yds,we can all hit a wall at stupid ranges,a lot of body shot bunnies crawl away to die in the warren ok,head shot,s kill end of story,take pride in your shooting skill/ability,a head shot bunny at 100 yds with a .22 is a cracking shot,plus you need to take into acount the wind etc,and night shooting is a whole new ball game,distance,is harder to judge,just read some of the posts on here,shot a bunny last night at xxx yds,we paced it out,bollok,s,fantasy merchants,as for the .17 hmr,cracking little toy,really buggered by the wind,expensive to run,if you body shoot with one of these you make a mess of the bunny,and its the same with head shots,good for long range,shy bunnies,we use our for sniper style on open warrens that you cant get close to,or on lamp shy bunny,s,not as flat as every body say,s,take a bit of getting used to,but good fun all the same,but you wont go far wrong learning with a ,22,just practice,practice,practice,,makes you a better more confident,shot,which is better than saying,fk,missed it half the time,ok,that,s my opinion,take it or leave it,all the body shooters will be on now moaning,at me,well all i can say to them is ,get some practice,pet,ask you boyfriend,s to help you out,we do body shoot the odd one,cant be helped,due to wind etc,but if we dont think we can hit where we want we move closer,or just dont take the shot,ok,ian

The .22LR is the most popular chambering of them all, and for good reason! It's a versatile, cheap and readily available round, and most gun cabinets will have one in them.

Rabbits at 100 yards are achievable, if you're good.

It's quiet (totally silent for a bolt action firing subs through a decent moderator) and has plenty of power to deal with small vermin.

I don't understand what everyone sees in the .17, unless you want to be shooting out at the extremes of the range capability. It is noisy, wind prone and expensive.

The only gain that I have heard stated regularly other than range is that it's less prone to ricochet. This may be true, but if you follow good safety techniques then ricochet is not an issue.

As for which rifle, you won't go far wrong with a Brno, though for a cheap semi, the MagTech (if it's new then it will be the Mossberg made version) gets good reports. Either will do the job fine, with a reasonably priced scope and a decent moderator.

I totally agree! Ive owned a number of 22lr's including a cz452 and couldnt fault it especially fitted with a Brooks trigger kit. With a Sak mod and shooting eley or winnie subs the loudest noise you'd here was the impact of the bullet hitting the grass munchers skull. I also briefly owned a cz .17 and thought it way overratted. Much too noisy, after the first shot the rabbits just scattered. Plus as already mentioned they arnt cheap to run prone to wind etc.

Nice to see people taking the time to write so much. Thanks its all being taken in and is much appreciated!

Great advice ... the more and more i read the more pleased i am about making the choice of going for the .22

The FAD also said to me that no matter what he buys and sells he always keeps a .22 in the cabinet!

I second everything Ace says about the .22LR although I love my HMR as well as it takes over from where the 22 leaves off and gets me out to 150 yards or so but is very noisy and expensive to feed.

When you get your gun, buy a box each of whatever ammunition your local dealer has in stock, don't worry at first about zeroing accurately just set up a target at 50 yards or so and as long as your shots are within two or three inches of the centre of a sheet of A4 paper that is good enough. Now, see what groups the different lots of ammo give you. You are trying to find the one that gives the tightest group and shoots most consistently and chambers smoothly every time. Shoot a few out of each box to help wear the barrel in and assuming it is a new gun don't forget to clean the barrel thoroughly first to get out all the manufacturers protective grease. If you are lucky it will be a cheap brand that shoots well, if it is an expensive make then tough luck, the bullets are still cheap and you owe it to yourself and to your quarry to shoot with the greatest accuracy.

Having found the best ammo for your gun, stick to it, don't chop and change. Buy a brick of 500, same batch.

Now spend some more time accurately zeroing your gun with the chosen ammo. I zero my 22 at 50 yards which gives my a flat shooting kill zone (+- half inch) of about 15 to 60 yards. Beyond 60 yards the bullet starts to drop quite a lot which is why the advice to get a laser range finder is really good. At 80 yards the drop is a little over 3 inches and more like 8 inches at 100 yards which is a sensible limit for head shots on rabbits, when you have practiced a lot!).

Some people zero at 60 yards which is also very sensible, it does place the bullet slightly high at 40 yards so just aim half an inch low. Zeroing at 60 does help get you that bit more range before worrying about click adjustment or holdover.

Once zeroed at 50 or 60 yards set out some targets at different distances, 30, 40, 70, 80, 90 100 and have fun plinking away methodically and keeping notes of the bullet drop at those ranges. Measure the distances accurately, pacing it out does not work, you will be way out.

You will quickly find your limits. As soon as you can no longer group reliably within the area of a 50p coin, that is your range limit for headshots on rabbits. Stick to it.

Please don't take anything other than good headshots on rabbits. It will put you into the pratt brigade. And take them home for dinner. Rabbits deserve better than just being used as target practice and then thrown into a hedge.

I used to "holdover" but now for long shots (100 yards) adjust my scope (primary zero 50 yards, 24 clicks to set zero at 100 yards) and can shoot consistent sub 1 inch groups at that distance although watching the slow moving bullet as it drops (8") towards the bull is always fascinating.

Oh, and get a good bipod. A sling is handy to hold the gun over your shoulder when out walking. Fill an old sock (small - childs size) with rice and tie the end in a knot, makes a great support for the stock to shoot really accurately off the bipod, no need for fancy sand filled leather.

Les

my first rifel was air arms s410 xtra fac and i loved it then a ruger 10/22 .22lr and i love the 22lr

.22lr cheap as chips and so much fun will never sell it .

nex gun will b a .223 rem

bunny is posible at 100 yards but u will need a lot of practice i have shot crows out as far as 140 yards but me think it was just pot luck .

zero ur gun at 50 yards and u will not b far out from 25-75