hi, my name is Ossie (well that's what everyone calls me, and i'm not going to argue with them). i live in norfolk with a mad saluki x, a load of ferrets, a couple of cats & a snake.

you could say running dogs are in my blood, as my maternal grandfather & great grandfather kept racing greyhounds many moons ago. i was brought up with lurchers of varying crosses, everything from a 29 1/2" saluki x greyhound, right down to a little 19 1/2" whippet cross.

i went through that daft anti stage when i was about 12, stopped eating meat for 10 years, only starting again last year. decided that it really wasn't all that bad, but i resolved to never eat commercially produced meat again, so i got the dog to keep me in a bit of free grub.

so, yup, that's me.

me and Gyp, my boy. nearly 18 months old. he looks good; however, i had only been awake for half an hour, and therefore look like a tramp.

megypbyjohn2cropped.jpg

the dog and the kitten, they do get on sometimes!

GypRoisinDubh.jpg

Edited by Ossie

not 100% sure... i got Gyp at 7 months old from a whippet-owning family in wisbech. they bought him off travellers as a pup, in a bit of a bad way. i bought him as a saluki x grey, my lurcher guru reckons he looks like an old-fashioned saluki, and his money is on saluki x good coursing greyhound. my vet thinks he's a saluki x collie, but vets aren't always the best at guessing these things!

he's about 25", can't get him to stand still long enough to measure him properly. he was quite an odd pup, at 7 months he was 21", but no awkward gangliness at all, no "still growing into his feet" syndrome. he was just a smaller, less hairy version of what he is now.

an anti that finally saw the light :) :welcomeani: :welcomeani: ...

yep. i was brought up in as very outdoorsy family, used to follow the hunt when i was little, went to all the coursing meets, showed terriers, went fieldwalking with my dad & the dogs all the time. my job on a sunday afternoon was to sit on the chicken that dad had just killed for lunch, and stop it running around & scaring all the other birds. i just went all wet when i got to highschool! around '94 / '95 the whole "meat is murder" thing was at it's peak, and i fell right into it. :hmm:

by the time i was 18 i was questioning the whole anti thing, the shit they do... and i didn't want to be associated with it. went back to my john seymour books, turned the logic switch back on in my brain, and found meself a new way of thinking. i figured whats the point of not eating animals? so many species have been bred to be eaten, it would be rude not to :D

i refuse to eat mass-produced meat, on the basis of welfare, and the fact that if i'm gonna eat it, i want to know what it's eaten! my bro works for a large local poultry firm, rearing birds, and despite the fact he keeps them impeccably well (so chicken mad his first word was "chicken"!), you still see some unpleasant sights. and i believe it's wholly unecessary to keep birds like that, pumping crap into them for a quick cheap meal. people have become so detached from the source of their food these days... i have friends who will say "i could never do that!" when i tell them about gutting a rabbit for tea, whilst they're chowing down a mccdonalds... i make them all watch Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall dvd's when they visit. they're all slowly coming round. even my best friends veggie girlfriend is pro-coursing now! helps that my dog is "cute". they soon come round when you point out that the lovely soppy dog lying at their feet is just shy of illegal!

Edited by Ossie
hi, my name is Ossie (well that's what everyone calls me, and i'm not going to argue with them). i live in norfolk with a mad saluki x, a load of ferrets, a couple of cats & a snake.

you could say running dogs are in my blood, as my maternal grandfather & great grandfather kept racing greyhounds many moons ago. i was brought up with lurchers of varying crosses, everything from a 29 1/2" saluki x greyhound, right down to a little 19 1/2" whippet cross.

i went through that daft anti stage when i was about 12, stopped eating meat for 10 years, only starting again last year. decided that it really wasn't all that bad, but i resolved to never eat commercially produced meat again, so i got the dog to keep me in a bit of free grub.

so, yup, that's me.

me and Gyp, my boy. nearly 18 months old. he looks good; however, i had only been awake for half an hour, and therefore look like a tramp.

megypbyjohn2cropped.jpg

the dog and the kitten, they do get on sometimes!

GypRoisinDubh.jpg

:welcomeani: :welcomeani: Ossie,

Glad you finally saw the light!!!lol.....great pics too.

Lottie

:welcomeani: ossie that dogs a looker

:welcomeani: nice dog you got there.

elma that brindle is the twin to my bitch how is she bread

she is greyhound/saluki/greyhound/deerhound dont know what genaration the black one is her litter sister the pair of them are mad as feek.

elma that brindle is the twin to my bitch how is she bread

she is greyhound/saluki/greyhound/deerhound dont know what genaration the black one is her litter sister the pair of them are mad as feek.

did it come from anywhere near blantyre

came from near clydebank

Thanks! bought him mainly for his looks *bad ossie*. i know it's not the right way to choose your dog, but he's so striking, i'd have been insane not to have him. thankfully he turned out to be a pretty decent lamping dog, unfortunately he is quite out of practice now due to me having a bit of a vehicular accident with the 1mil candlepower torch we used... um, i backed over it with the car... and i'm too broke to replace it at the mo'.

he gets plenty of exercise, at least an hour off the lead walking & running, and about an hour on the lead every day. a lot more at the weekend. even my mum (my harshest critic) is really impressed with how well he looks.

pity you can't really see his ears or tail in the pics, his tail is feathered with 3-4" hair, and when he's in the mood he'll hold his ears like a saluki and you can see just how hairy they are.

Edited by Ossie