Roost shooting

Well its the time that most of the landowners get together and head of in to the woods to thin the woodpigeon out once a week -normally its friday, but i was busy so four of us headed down to the farm were we normally shoot the ferals. this farmer has quite a large area of woodland. I was going to say "This farmer has quite a large wood but it didnt seem right , Anyway -we spreaded out and covered the wood, fully loaded and waiting. I was using my new gun, a Remmington 1100 purchased for only £85 a bargain! i was just hoping it worked okay. well the wait didnt last long and the pigeons were starting to come into the wood in small droves, mainly heading into the half of the wood were my mates were waiting and the shots started ripping out and the birds started falling. Within about 30 minutes, id had 4 shots and dropped 4 birds and after hearing what seemed like about 20 shots coming from the "other" side - i radio'd through to find out just how many they had. The reply was.....err.....about 2.

2?? these old guys couldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo "Wait for them to land then" i said

, within this time id added another 2 to my pile. 6 shots, 6 Birds now and storming into the lead. As the daylight started to fade, 2 pigeons came storming through the woods heading my way, i raised the gun and aimed for the leading bird and sent it nose diving down to earth and quickly rushed in for pigeon no2, only this time i missed. These two were trying to get out of the wood having been previously been "Frightened" by the other guns - Hence, not allowing them time to land. As we were walking out i spotted a squirrel jumping from branch to branch, 1 shot later - it jumped no more

Anyway we met back up at the entrance of the wood. Result - Friend No 1 = 3 pigeons, with about 40 shots taken, No2 = 2 pigeons and god knows how many shots taken, No3 = zero pigeons and two shots fired and No4 (Me!) 7 pigeons and only 8 shots fired, 9 if you count the sqizz.

Ill have to teach the old boys to shoot straight before i go with them again

but a fun time and looking forward to the next one!