Hard days graft, only 19 to show for it.

I sent adammubu a pm last night to see if he fancied another day with us down here, it was short notice but he accepted, got to give the youngsters a helping hand now and again.

After being spoilt on the local farms it was with a little reluctance that we took a trip to some other permission I have. Its farm land that surrounds lakes and heavy cover is an understatement for the dykes and banks. It's got to be done though, got to keep the farmers happy and at least have a go at them, even if we wish we were elsewhere.

It started of pretty good, one small hedgerow between 2 fields and not that much cover really, it made it easier when we saw a couple of bunnies bouncing down the field side. We got on with this in the freezing wind that was much colder and stronger than predicted, by it was cutting through us. 6 rabbits for about half an hour or so, could be worse I suppose, but there were lots of rabbits in the next area.

We drove down to the side of an orchard/spinney and looked at the overgrown banking we were doing next, sh*t there were some holes, probably 300-400 holes and all connected to the same set. It would have been impossible to net these, even long netting would be out of the question as rabbits just bob in and out of sets like these. There was only 1 option, teather the dogs and get the 12g out, we preffer not to use the gun as it renders the meat unsaleable really but needs must, they have to be thinned. We introduced 8 ferrets and waited, as predicted it was like the gopher game at the sea side, I am a pretty good shot and on the ball but I was spinning like a tazmanian devil with just the odd shot. I managed to miss the first one with both barrels, about the only one that run clean out of the lot but I didn't miss any more. We decided to give the rest of this a miss, the returns for time spent was not good, so we moved to a field side dyke. Again it was overgrown and hard to do so it was down to the gun, Ray was pestering for a shot so I passed the gun over to him, you guessed it he didn't see the first 3 that bolted and we were screaming rabbit, numpty.

IMG_1610.jpg

We moved on and there were some clearer spots that seemed to be holding but they only held the odd one, it was pretty strange, the rabbits must be all in that heavy cover.

As we got further down the terrier started getting smart and going to ground, and without a locator collar it was a pain to find it so after the 3rd time we had to dig it and we called it a day, Stevo was on a curfew or something............:icon_redface:

Well we still had a good day even though the numbers were much less than we normally get, but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

19 must be the lowest we have had for ages ahh well there's always next time.IMG_1609.jpg

I sent adammubu a pm last night to see if he fancied another day with us down here, it was short notice but he accepted, got to give the youngsters a helping hand now and again.

After being spoilt on the local farms it was with a little reluctance that we took a trip to some other permission I have. Its farm land that surrounds lakes and heavy cover is an understatement for the dykes and banks. It's got to be done though, got to keep the farmers happy and at least have a go at them, even if we wish we were elsewhere.

It started of pretty good, one small hedgerow between 2 fields and not that much cover really, it made it easier when we saw a couple of bunnies bouncing down the field side. We got on with this in the freezing wind that was much colder and stronger than predicted, by it was cutting through us. 6 rabbits for about half an hour or so, could be worse I suppose, but there were lots of rabbits in the next area.

We drove down to the side of an orchard/spinney and looked at the overgrown banking we were doing next, sh*t there were some holes, probably 300-400 holes and all connected to the same set. It would have been impossible to net these, even long netting would be out of the question as rabbits just bob in and out of sets like these. There was only 1 option, teather the dogs and get the 12g out, we preffer not to use the gun as it renders the meat unsaleable really but needs must, they have to be thinned. We introduced 8 ferrets and waited, as predicted it was like the gopher game at the sea side, I am a pretty good shot and on the ball but I was spinning like a tazmanian devil with just the odd shot. I managed to miss the first one with both barrels, about the only one that run clean out of the lot but I didn't miss any more. We decided to give the rest of this a miss, the returns for time spent was not good, so we moved to a field side dyke. Again it was overgrown and hard to do so it was down to the gun, Ray was pestering for a shot so I passed the gun over to him, you guessed it he didn't see the first 3 that bolted and we were screaming rabbit, numpty.

IMG_1610.jpg

We moved on and there were some clearer spots that seemed to be holding but they only held the odd one, it was pretty strange, the rabbits must be all in that heavy cover.

As we got further down the terrier started getting smart and going to ground, and without a locator collar it was a pain to find it so after the 3rd time we had to dig it and we called it a day, Stevo was on a curfew or something............:icon_redface:

Well we still had a good day even though the numbers were much less than we normally get, but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

19 must be the lowest we have had for ages ahh well there's always next time.IMG_1609.jpg

Looks like fun :thumbs:

The numbers game rarely gives a true indication of conditions. Getting 50 or 100 is no big deal in some places but winkling a few hold-outs from a tricky situation can be a much more meaningfull experience -especially for the farmer .

That's not a gas-gun behind you in the picture is it ? . Just wondering what would have happened if it went off ! :D

good day ,some days its not the numbers but sport you have as a youngster we usd to count everything ,as an adult a good bags a good bag wether 10 or a hundred used to the numbers thing in our twenties, now rabbits not in same numbers caut alot of them ,youse remember me of the nlrc that yoused to go to blairgowrie big pics of bags of rabbits smiling faces and happy dogs great fun,in edinburgh you still get a pound arabbit not changed for tenty years steve box trapped dogs ferrets 45o one week best ever , from cafraermill to lauder best day single haded was 68 what a tiol old subaru pick up was full enjoy while you can mate

IMG_1610.jpg

6 rabbits in half an hour.......and you seem disappointed......you are too well spoilt :laugh: . Always enjoy reading your reports, you must be the envy of so many of us with all the good ferreting land you have permission for. A wee question for you steve, do you mainly hunt will jills or hobs or is it a combination of the two. :notworthy:

IMG_1610.jpg

6 rabbits in half an hour.......and you seem disappointed......you are too well spoilt :laugh: . Always enjoy reading your reports, you must be the envy of so many of us with all the good ferreting land you have permission for. A wee question for you steve, do you mainly hunt will jills or hobs or is it a combination of the two. :notworthy:

We use jills in the deep sets usually so the rabbits can drag them and hopefully get free and bolt, if we get a stubborn one that backs up and the rabbit cant get free or the jill is just getting dragged all over we will put a hob in to hold and nail the rabbit for a dig. If the sets are pretty shallow we use both and flood it with ferrets, they either bolt in seconds or get dug as they will struggle to get free from the hobs. We generally use up to 8 ferrets, less on the smaller sets and get it done as quick as poss to move on, time is of the essence when its pest control. You can take your time and sit and wait without collars on if you are just out for a jaunt, we need to remove quantities and try to do what we can as quick as.

We are gaining a reputation around here now, I have other gamekeepers actually ringing me and not the other way round, thats a turn up for the books. I am also getting invited on partridge shoots, hare shoots, pigeon shoots, lamping and the pub so must be doing something right.

I could not do this without my crew, they are good lads and will graft all day without complaining whatever the cover or weather, we were even out in minus 13 degrees.

howards34on16thjan.jpg