Internet Security

Guest JDF

i'm running norton which is due to run out in feb,an update looks like costing 40 pounds,i know thats nothing against the price of banjaxed computer but i'm wondering if theres any better value to be had.

will norton still work without an update?

is the macafee any better?

is there anything good for free out there :laugh:

i know little about this so any pointers will be welcomed.

cheers.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I always found Norton, once it ran out and ye didn't grease their palms for the new version, told ye ye had a virus. Can't honestly remember if I had one or not?

Anyway, f*ck Norton. If ye need to reprog', to get rid of them, do so. Then get AVG (It's free and on Google). I've run that for years without a problem. Just the other day took down their latest edition. Fine.

But, also, check Google for MacAffee's " Stinger ". A little jewel to keep handy. Again, fee and lives where ye put it. Just run that once in a blue moon, as a crafty aside. I've seen it catch something even the trusty and loyal AVG's missed. Once in a while, anyway :good:

Guest The Shaman

I've got Norton Internet Security on mine, runs out in 3 months (came with the puter), and when it runs out I won't be re-newing.

Not that I have any major issues with Norton, it just doesn't seem up to the job. I also have adaware and spybot running because Norton doesn't pick up some of the more tanacious spyware.

I used AVG for years with Zone Alarm without any problems (both free versions, you can upgrade to the pro version but I wouldn't unless you have money to burn).

Viruses are like Jehovas Witnesses - don't let em through the door.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

No. The screen shot made it seem that way, eh, Steve? I just went to Grisoft.com and asked for the free version. It tells ye to fetch it and ask for REPAIR. Boosh! Down Load it. Update it. Restart. Before ye know it, update it Again and ye flying! Free as a bird still ~ and probably still simply the best there is out there :good:

I've heard the paid for version stinks, compared to the freebie? :icon_eek:

JDF, uninstall Norton completely before you install anything else. As an aside, not only is Norton quite inefficient at detecting viruses but it embeds deeply on your system. Classic bloatware imho.

On the paid-for front you can't beat NOD32 imho. It's not that expensive (about £20 a year, £30 for two years etc) and has NEVER ever missed a virus in the wild. Norton, Trend etc on the other hand have missed a scary amount over the last few years (McAfee missed 83 viruses!). Norton scans your system real-time at about 6 megs a second. NOD does that at over 30 megs a second (five times faster), using less memory and does it better to boot!

NOD's the danglies!

SEE HERE

AVG is good at detecting malware, but not always as good at removing it. You can't beat it for free though! To get the free AVG download you can go to www.download.com (CNet) and search for AVG FREE, as it's quite hidden away on the Grisoft homepage, in preference to the paid-for version.

Eset are bringing out a combined AV/Firewall in NOD32 v3 this year, which should be good. Meantime I find that Comodo (a free version of Outpost) is excellent, and doesn't drain CPU and memory like Zone Alarm does.

JMHO.