It worked for us

Not to sure how you guys feel about dyed baits, I for one have had plenty of good pike on them. One particular lake springs to mind regarding the use of dyed baits.

For the whole of the summer we had fished this particular water with brilliant results :clapper: , it was a bad day if we had caught only ten pike. The lake held some large Pike, and we did manage to extract on or two of these big un’s., but not them all.

I have taken delivery of a large box of fresh Herring that summer and this was our preferred bait, baits was only hitting the water and bang another pike, I am sure the Pike were now tuned into our baits. No matter what method we fished our baits the results were the same, I also had a feeling that this water had received little or no attention from other anglers, no visible sign of disturbed vegetation, not a single piece of rubbish in sight, and foremost the pike were not weary of dead baits.

As the summer came to an end, :no: our crew was looking forward to the colder months when we hoped our new found wonder baits would help us in search of the really big Pike was we knew were present. Our first winter session was like a kick in the rocks :cry: , not a single Pike was accounted for, what the f**k was going on. Next session was no better, two jacks for a full session :hmm: .

We knew the Pike were present, unless a kill had taken place, this was put to bed when we met the farmer who owns the land and fishing rights, no fish kill, no netting.

It soon became clear to us when we sat one night planning our next session. The pike were still present; our baits were not working, so let’s try a different approach. A bee line was made to the local shop; all colors of food dye were swept from the shelves.

Baits of all colors are sent skywards, we sat for a whole ten minutes before we got our first run :drink: , we were like greyhounds from the trap, a quick strike and we had our first double for the winter from this water. Fifteen pike in total were landed and returned :drink: , all taken on dyed baits; we did stick out to rods with natural color herring, but not a touch all day.

Conclusion.

We now believe that the Pike had become so weary of the natural color herring that they associated them with danger and stayed clear, which resulted in a sudden drop in our catch rate. The pike were presented with the same baits but this time a different color and this seem enough to entice them to accept our baits again.

A wee lake called gooney, roll on tomorrow.

:clapper: brilliant mate , ive never thought of that . top tip . and a good post .what colours were working the best ?

I find yellow works great, had my PB on a yellow Roach, but then on a large water in Leitrim blue sems to work best. Trail by error my friend.