Training on the lamp?

Hi all, I'm kinda new to the lamping game, had a few lads give me advice on training dogs on the lamp, as daft as it sounds one lad said catch a live bunny and teather it to a peg in the middle of a field and slip your dog :icon_eek:

Just wondered if anyone had any actual decent advice. ATB :thumbs:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nutter69.. Bought my dog at 6 weeks, first working dog like i said new to the game and joined THL for advice, without pointing fingers, some people give this site a bad name.

Ashington, it's about 14 miles north of newcastle. You are more than welcome to bring the dog up ferreting or lamping

get oot an learn by yer mistakes

thats how i taught mine but kill the rabbit first then sit it up right in field and slip your dog did it a few times and BANG she got that there was something there it works mate stupid as it sounds but like said be carefull!!

Edited by jonansuki

Hi all, I'm kinda new to the lamping game, had a few lads give me advice on training dogs on the lamp, as daft as it sounds one lad said catch a live bunny and teather it to a peg in the middle of a field and slip your dog :icon_eek:

plenty of info if you search on here,,point lamp at bunny, slip mutt,,

Ignore the idiot who told you about the pegged rabbit as somewhere a village is missing its idiot. Just try to pick a good night with rabbits feeding right out, get between them and the warren, get your dog sighted and slip. It ain't rocket science just take it from there mate :thumbs:

for me theirs no other then is getting the dog in field on the lamp and just watch the first few times ,then just try and give easy slips ,their no better way for your dog 2 actually getting out and seeing it get done,do,nt allway need 2 watch another dog but could help :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wait whilst your dog gets big and old enough and get yerself out with the lamp,,, easy as that.. :thumbs:

thats how i taught mine but kill the rabbit first then sit it up right in field and slip your dog did it a few times and BANG she got that there was something there it works mate stupid as it sounds but like said be carefull!!

That sounds alot better mate, I'l give it ago, :thumbs:

Wait whilst your dog gets big and old enough and get yerself out with the lamp,,, easy as that.. :thumbs:

Not all dogs can just do that though, that's why I'm asking, I'm not having a dig or out, I would love it to be as easy as that.

Ignore the idiot who told you about the pegged rabbit as somewhere a village is missing its idiot. Just try to pick a good night with rabbits feeding right out, get between them and the warren, get your dog sighted and slip. It ain't rocket science just take it from there mate :thumbs:

Crazy init mate. never heard of anything so daft in my life. :wallbash:

Mate, listen to some of the other lads, in a nutshell its a wank idea, find your dog something to chase, to allow his instincts to kick in. Find a rabbit far out and let the dog use the instincts he has. The dogs drive is triggered by flight of the prey species, having a dead rabbit in a field!!! My bet is you will have to walk the dog to within an inch of it and he will show little interest in the cadaver, get him sighted on something moving and he chase.

Not all dogs can just do that though, that's why I'm asking, I'm not having a dig or out, I would love it to be as easy as that.

why cant dogs do it ??thats what the fuckers are bred for,,is this for real,,