What camera do you think ?

Hi all, i'm looking at upgrading my camera but not sure what to go for :hmm: I've got the D40 which imo is a great camera but i'm wanting to take the next step. I've been looking at the D5000, D3100 and the D90. All of these have the movie function which would be usefull and all around the same price ( providing i look around for a second hand D90 ) Any one had any experiance of these cameras ? thanks :notworthy:

A friend of mine shoots Nikon , and she shot with a D90 for the longest time, and loved it, she's just moved up to some serious cash a D700 !!!! the 5000 and 3100 are good camera's though , my opinion is though if i want a video recorder i'll go and buy one, all that extra money's going into somthing thats totally wasted on me, i'd rather have more FPS or bigger sensor , anyway good luck with whatever you pluck for :thumbs:

A friend of mine shoots Nikon , and she shot with a D90 for the longest time, and loved it, she's just moved up to some serious cash a D700 !!!! the 5000 and 3100 are good camera's though , my opinion is though if i want a video recorder i'll go and buy one, all that extra money's going into somthing thats totally wasted on me, i'd rather have more FPS or bigger sensor , anyway good luck with whatever you pluck for :thumbs:

Yeah about right..no interested in videos on cameras..Being totally wildlife Im a FPS man..My Nikon shoots up to 8 frames per second, not too worried about full frame sensors either,the Nikon crop factor on my D300 gets me that little bit closer..

I know the D3100 has less fps than the D5000 but the D90 is my target. It's just nice to have the video feature should the ' want ' arise. Its just nice to have other people' opinions on the cameras incase there is something major that i'm missing or that you've found isn't as good on one as opposed to the other. Thanks in advnce all :thumbs:

You won't go far wrong with a D90 - the other 2 models you mentioned are okay, but I think you'll find the D90 is slightly more durable and you shouldn't need to upgrade it for a while yet. :thumbs:

Romany - I'd have a play with a D700 if you get the chance... the image quality is excellent, and you can afford to crop quite heavily if necessary and still have an excellent image. Not sure what the frame rate is but it sounds like a machine gun going off and makes my 5D2 seem like it's going backwards... :hmm: I'm still happy with my Canon though, and resisting all urges to use the Nikon :D

You won't go far wrong with a D90 - the other 2 models you mentioned are okay, but I think you'll find the D90 is slightly more durable and you shouldn't need to upgrade it for a while yet. :thumbs:

Romany - I'd have a play with a D700 if you get the chance... the image quality is excellent, and you can afford to crop quite heavily if necessary and still have an excellent image. Not sure what the frame rate is but it sounds like a machine gun going off and makes my 5D2 seem like it's going backwards... :hmm: I'm still happy with my Canon though, and resisting all urges to use the Nikon :D

I was lucky enough to have one for a few weeks hon, what a piece of kit..the image quality it absolutely amazing..it laughs at iso 1600, the D700 has everything that we dream of: works great up to ISO 3200 (and even higher), one of the judges at our camera club did a night for us and the images were unbelievable....

Edited by Romany

I know the D3100 has less fps than the D5000 but the D90 is my target. It's just nice to have the video feature should the ' want ' arise. Its just nice to have other people' opinions on the cameras incase there is something major that i'm missing or that you've found isn't as good on one as opposed to the other. Thanks in advnce all :thumbs:

Got a mint D200 that I might be putting on ebay soon..

Check the exif data on this image, it was taken with the D200

e4b7c402.jpg

Edited by Romany

I just use the Nikons capture program,,but Im sure anything like the CS Photoshop programs could do it (maybe some expert on these could advise) you can also check the data on any pictures on flicker accounts.