how old start coursing dog

Everydog is individual-some are ready for a few easy runs/ being slipped in at 6-7 months... Easy runs where you know they will catch without over doing it- some might not be ready until later.

You should know when your own pup is ready....

i do know mate he killine rabbits but want to know every 1 else is opinion,s never to old to learn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know nothing about coursing dogs but if you cant lightly start a dog at 7 or 8 months on rabbits then I'd be lookin for better dogs. I start mine on coyotes at that age with two older dogs and they

pete 73.is the dog in your avatar yours.its a true beauty. :thumbs:

no mate wish it was go to 2 or 3rd page or so look for 8 mths old pup 3rd time out thats my dogs mate and second 1 my day bitch let me no if u see them

:whistling: depends on what cross it is, small lurchers mature quicker than big ones,also depends on what your wanting it to run, as its main quarry.if its a rabbiting lamp dog you dont want to put it on hares at 8 months,but in the same breath you can learn it to lamp at 8 months if your not over doing it,I dont beleve in the lock it up for 12 months then start it on rabbits,the dog will have no fittness or manners,it wont have practiced its running turning or moving freely as a dog should be able too,its a fine line on each dog schooling in, nd runnig hard, are too differant things nd i think thats where folk get it wrong,nowt wrong in taking a pup out nd letting it watch a few runs to get its blood up nd a bit off a rag,its how you find out if its ready to go,i would wait a bit longer to single it on the bigger stuff but only you will know.atb mick

pete 73.is the dog in your avatar yours.its a true beauty. :thumbs:

no mate wish it was go to 2 or 3rd page or so look for 8 mths old pup 3rd time out thats my dogs mate and second 1 my day bitch let me no if u see them

:whistling: depends on what cross it is, small lurchers mature quicker than big ones,also depends on what your wanting it to run, as its main quarry.if its a rabbiting lamp dog you dont want to put it on hares at 8 months,but in the same breath you can learn it to lamp at 8 months if your not over doing it,I dont beleve in the lock it up for 12 months then start it on rabbits,the dog will have no fittness or manners,it wont have practiced its running turning or moving freely as a dog should be able too,its a fine line on each dog schooling in, nd runnig hard, are too differant things nd i think thats where folk get it wrong,nowt wrong in taking a pup out nd letting it watch a few runs to get its blood up nd a bit off a rag,its how you find out if its ready to go,i would wait a bit longer to single it on the bigger stuff but only you will know.atb mick

guess its upto the individual when he starts his dog.good to see other peoples opinions though.no matter if we disagree or not.

about a year old on bunnies at the least.before the ban around 16 17 months on hares

a year :blink:

yea a year,thats 12months if you were a bit confused

a year old on the bunny's I like my pups to have had 100 bunny's by a year old but I wouldn't put them behind hares till they about 16 month old and showing the maturity :thumbs:

about a year old on bunnies at the least.before the ban around 16 17 months on hares

a year old on the bunny's I like my pups to have had 100 bunny's by a year old but I wouldn't put them behind hares till they about 16 month old and showing the maturity :thumbs:

hear what your saying mate,but something ive always done and works for me.works out fine as my pup will be starting at the start of next season.

hear what your saying mate,but something ive always done and works for me.works out fine as my pup will be starting at the start of next season.

everyone has there ways and there reasons i just like to get them working fast and i find if you get them a good number of rabbits they tend to turn out quick takers when they on the hares but again thats just my opinion :thumbs:

edited to say i get them 100% in the day before slipping them on the lamp they still come for the walks though :thumbs:

My trevor is 8-9 months old now I take him out once or twice a week for a few runs on't lamp he does fine, but I end the night before he gets tired or does to many runs :thumbs: Problem is some dogs are more swtched on at an earlier age than others.

Ps wouldn't even entertain owt wi teeth until much older :thumbs:

Everybody as there own way too bring on a pup.l myself drop few rabbits till pup 7 months old then at 10 11 months the pup be brought for hare and put into a tried one that older dog has did all the work give pup few easy kills at 14 months be run doubled up at 16 17 months be run single from there on if he or she as it they have it if they don't they don't but for foxes my pup wont see one till 2 year old or more

I know nothing about coursing dogs but if you cant lightly start a dog at 7 or 8 months on rabbits then I'd be lookin for better dogs. I start mine on coyotes at that age with two older dogs and they best be firing into them or they aint stayin here long. And........if they get bit a few times here and there then so be it, they best get over it or they are culls.

• Like 1

I know nothing about coursing dogs but if you cant lightly start a dog at 7 or 8 months on rabbits then I'd be lookin for better dogs. I start mine on coyotes at that age with two older dogs and they best be firing into them or they aint stayin here long. And........if they get bit a few times here and there then so be it, they best get over it or they are culls.

good for you.

i could start him,but choose not to.so no i wont be looking for another dog.

Edited by scothunter

:thumbs:

good for you.

i could start him,but choose not to.so no i wont be looking for another dog.

Hey partner, I aint sayin you are doin it wrong and I would never tell another man how to raise or keep his dogs. I'm just sayin that it aint no big deal lightly startin a young dog at a young age if they are the right kind. Dont mistunderstand me though, I would never tell you how to play the game.