A nice weather day and a good shoot.

Well it was the 1st day of no rain up here, and with a forecast of blue skies and light winds I packed up the van and headed of for a spot of rough shooting.

1st stop was to zero a new scope I had bought for my AA s410, long story short - didnt get on with high powered tactical scope and bought a simple Bushnel Trophy 3-9x40 with a trx reticle, 15mins, job done.

I stuck a disc in the CD player of the van, turned up the volume as the might sounds of crow pop music blasted out whilst I hid with my camera 50yds away in some bales.

It wasn't long before I was taking some good pictures, 1st a couple of crows then half an hour later 'I saluted' a magpie that had turned up 'to rock'. Im happy, farmer is happy as he like me taking pictures of his birdlife.

I turned off the tunes, loaded my pockets with shells and went for a walk with the shotgun to see if I could thin out the numbers of some of the pest birds that have been attacking the lambs. A couple of hours later and 3 more pests sorted I walk back to the van and grab a hearty luch break.

So work is done and now its time to visit another farm where I get some free walked up rough shooting for clearing pest problems on other family farms.

I continue up the track and park up. Air rifle on the back in case theres any opportunity for use, Chokes changed to cylinder and quarter as I know I will be right on the birds birds before they fly from the reeds and rushes in the fields around here.

A gentle stroll around in the afternoon sun is fantastic, its great to stretch the legs and enjoy the scenery, its not long before Im in the rushes and a bird flushes right in front of me! Move, mount, shoot, the bird is 35yds away and goes down cleanly with 1 shot.

I didnt get a shot off at any others today as they were a bit on the low side and didnt give safe shots, the birds seemed to know that flying low towards farm buildings would save their skin, and it sure did.

All in all I had a great day in fresh air, with a gentle breeze on my cheeks and sun on my face, Birdlife was singing like It was spring allready and theres a bird hanging in the shed for a roast dinner this week.

gallery_50435_3704_231158.jpg