Help needed

Hi all I need some advice. My dad recently got a new shotgun it is Gorosable No 1 side by side. Just this evening he was showing me it when he blanked fired it and the firing pin came out of the gun and went across the room I think the pin had snapped although not sure. Has this ever happened to anyone and is it a common thing to get fixed. Cheers any information would be great. Tony

And you've just discovered why it's never a good idea to dry fire any gun, though modern guns don't normally eject their firing pins like that.

I'd be taking it back to whoever you bought it from, as it does rather suggest a fault.

Shouldn't be too difficult to get it repaired, pop it in to your friendly local gunsmith for a look, they'll be able to tell you if it's fixable.

Cheers for that. Must be a fault. surely dry fring your gun could not make the firing pin snap.

Your experience tends to suggest otherwise!

Definitely contact whoever sold the gun, if they're any good they should be able to resolve the issue fairly easily.

As it's a modern gun, the replacement parts shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Edited to add, after doing some research, it appears that the Gorosabel name died with DIARM in the mid 80's, so your gun isn't new. Still it's of modern design and construction so it should be fixable for a knowledgable gun smith!

Edited by matt_hooks

Cheers for that. Must be a fault. surely dry fring your gun could not make the firing pin snap.

Your experience tends to suggest otherwise!

Definitely contact whoever sold the gun, if they're any good they should be able to resolve the issue fairly easily.

As it's a modern gun, the replacement parts shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Edited to add, after doing some research, it appears that the Gorosabel name died with DIARM in the mid 80's, so your gun isn't new. Still it's of modern design and construction so it should be fixable for a knowledgable gun smith!

any explaination why the pin snapped sure it is not hitting anything.

any explaination why the pin snapped sure it is not hitting anything.

The pin snapped due to metal fatigue. Simply put, if you keep bending a metal rod, it will eventually snap. The same goes for a firing pin, the process happens quicker if the impact isn't slowed by softer metal such as the primer in a cartridge or the brass in a snap cap.

John

Hi all I need some advice. My dad recently got a new shotgun it is Gorosable No 1 side by side. Just this evening he was showing me it when he blanked fired it and the firing pin came out of the gun and went across the room I think the pin had snapped although not sure. Has this ever happened to anyone and is it a common thing to get fixed. Cheers any information would be great. Tony

This happens quite commonly with older Spanish guns, exactly the same happened to one I owned years ago, at the time I was still working 'on my tools'

I am a toolmaker, so I just took it to bits and made a new one from 'silver steel' dowel bar, that worked fine and was still ok when I traded the gun 6 or so years

later. Anyway in 'today' money' I reckon that any gunshop 'fixit' man could put your gun right for about £50.

Best of luck, and get some snapcaps.

This happens quite commonly with older Spanish guns, exactly the same happened to one I owned years ago, at the time I was still working 'on my tools'

I am a toolmaker, so I just took it to bits and made a new one from 'silver steel' dowel bar, that worked fine and was still ok when I traded the gun 6 or so years

later. Anyway in 'today' money' I reckon that any gunshop 'fixit' man could put your gun right for about £50.

Best of luck, and get some snapcaps.

cheers for the advice. he took it back yesterday and the owner rung today and had it fixed. he also stood over the gun and did not charge him which was good.