Good first gun

Right I have filled in my SGC forms, looking seriously at gun cabinets and found local clubs and checked with my permissions whether its ok for me to use a shotgun on their land rough shooting. Now before I send my forms and part with my money on a cabinet, how much am I seriously looking at for a gun? I will be starting on clays and then in future doing pigeon decoying and rough shooting. Now im not one for buying a cheap starter gun that only just cuts the crap and want a decent gun that will last me and provide a good shoot each and every time I want to use it. What price range will a suitable gun be in? Im assuming 12g is the right choice? What makes and models would you lot be looking out for? cheers

Right I have filled in my SGC forms, looking seriously at gun cabinets and found local clubs and checked with my permissions whether its ok for me to use a shotgun on their land rough shooting. Now before I send my forms and part with my money on a cabinet, how much am I seriously looking at for a gun? I will be starting on clays and then in future doing pigeon decoying and rough shooting. Now im not one for buying a cheap starter gun that only just cuts the crap and want a decent gun that will last me and provide a good shoot each and every time I want to use it. What price range will a suitable gun be in? Im assuming 12g is the right choice? What makes and models would you lot be looking out for? cheers

You would be better off waiting until you have joined a club, try as many as you can and see what fits right and / or you shoot best with.

As for cost... Id say £500 to what ever you are willing to spend, I have a £2500 Beretta and a cheapy, don't shoot any better with the Berreta if I'm honest. :icon_redface:

HTH

Mick.

Cheers lads, been looking at gun clubs and there arent too many around here :/ and the ones i did find seem to ask for SCG number on the entry forms.

Sporting Targets in Riseley, shouldn't be too far away, and they won't need SGC for you to have a go!

Shooting can be as cheep or expensive as you want it to be, I was 17 or 18 when I got my SG licence. I came from a non shooting family so I had to buy a cabinet to start off, I went for a 3 gun one, looking back now a 5 gun would have been better but I have moved on to fac shooting too. I think I spent £75 on the cabinet and £125 on a Bakal side by side, that I still love. I had a more expensive gun that I sold since because I did not use it, but I still like my bakal, the Soviets did make nice guns at affordable prices.

As for needing a sgc number just write in pencil that you have applied. I was lucky because I had lots of land that I could use.