The Nikko Sterling 3 - 9 X 42 AO

Manco

I bought my scope 3 years ago and since then I have used it more or less continually; It sat on top of my Sumatra pcp for several months but most of the time it has been mounted on a Gamo springer: first a Hunter 440 and latterly my Whisper X. These are my impressions of using the scope over this period. Counting up a stack of empty pellet tins (I’m a hoarder!) tells me it’s survived the launch of more than 5000 pellets – that’s just on springers – and it’s still going strong.

The scope was supplied new with a one-piece N-S mount and pivoting, tinted end caps intended to keep things showerproof in field use. The end-caps are naff, but the scope has some decent features:

Mil-dot reticule

Fast-focus eyepiece

Target turrets for windage and elevation

Adjustable front objective

Springer-rated construction

Although one gets used to judging holdover I have become a fan of mil-dots and with this scope on the Sumatra I have on many occasions dropped feral pigeons and guinea fowl at ranges of 75 – 85 yards. I calibrate the mil-dots, using a laser rangefinder to measure the distance to target and standardise on a particular level of magnification e.g. 9 X. Needless to say, a stable shooting platform is also essential.

On my Gamo springers the scope has proved to be a solid work horse and based on this experience I would always choose a springer-rated scope and a one-piece mount for use on all but low-powered spring guns. The unique 2-way recoil of springers is known to be be destructive of scopes and this applies particularly to magnum springers so it is desirable to buy a scope that is up to the job, which the Air King has proved to be. (My .177 Whisper X runs at approx 15fpe.)The Nikko Sterling one piece mount which came “free†with the scope has also proved to be robust and although I check the tightness of mounting screws periodically everything seems to stay firmly in place.

To summarise, I’m impressed with the NS Air King 3 – 9 x 42 which I regard as a good all-round hunting and plinking scope offering excellent value for money. For approx. £40 with mounts, it's a steal. The optical quality is not superb but it’s adequate. I would not hesitate to buy another of these should I decide to add to my small collection of air rifles.

Chris

I've got a gameking 4-24 x 50 on top of my .243, and it seems to handle the recoil fine. Used for deer at ranges out to 200 yards, and is reliable and sturdy, and pretty clear too. I could have spent £1000 or more on a scope and not gained much in the way of clarity.