a question

As fat man said....depending on how experienced the dog is, how much work it is getting and how fresh the scent is!!!

I have seen even experienced dogs sounding on a really fresh scent....but the more you work with the dog you will be able to tell immediately whether its scent or quarry!!!!

An experienced dog mite let out couple of yelps on fresh scent, but he wont hang around long, alot of times if a dog is too eager to find something he gets ahead of himself.

Hope this helps.

some terriers are very vocal. i used to have a russell that bayed like a hound all through an earth. it was just his way. you new as soon as he was on. as his tone changed and he settled to a more frantic bay. i once broke through to him with a fox firmly fastened across his uper and lower jaw. he could'nt open his mouth but he was baying away like a good'n through clenched teeth :thumbs: . now a dog that bays at an empty hole and false marks is a different ballgame and no use to man or beast

thanks for your comments. the dog is about two your old and meant to be working rabbit and fox only bean out with him once, he was very keen and flu down the hole, after a bout 30 seconds he started to open up, edging back and forwards and then went quiet, the dog came out of a bolt hole in the cover witch we did not see. there was a good chance it bolted, so we tried two more places, the dog went straight in and opened up in both of them, but did not stay down for long, we had a 100 % fox dog to check to holes, went down so there must of bean fresh sent in there but there was nothing in them, thats way i asked if it was common for a dog to open up :thumbs: