a late afternoon walk with the dogs

i left the house late this afternoon to have a mooch round a small wooded area near my house

it was about half 1/2oclock when i got there and let the 2 terriers and the lurcher pup off to do some bushing

the dogs were working well though nothing about

i walked further on into the wood and the terriers picked up a gear and wernt leaving any cover unchecked and then about 40 yards away i saw my old bitch go to ground

i headed over and not getting very far a nice vixen bolted and came right at me

she was nearly in my pocket before she saw me

all dogs were giving chase but when recalled the pup came back but the terriers took more convincing in the form of me shouting like a viking before they stopped and came back(terriers eh)

i held the terriers back and let the lurcher pup work the scent for a bit to which i was well impressed with as he stayed right on it for about 60yards before i called him in

walked on a bit further and the terriers had dissapeared so i stopped had a wee listen and heard the bitch sounding to my right so i went over and found them a drain pipe

i could see the bitch but couldnt locate the dog so i had a scan with the box and nothing

i managed to get the bitch out and tethered her to a tree and head in the pipe to listen for the dog

he was in a fair bit and i could hear him mixing away

so i had a wee smoke and a wonder as to how i was going to get him out as it was guranteed undiggable

so calling him out was the only option which i dont like doing but needs must in this situation

after about 45 minutes of calling him he came out soaking wet with the coller soaked no wonder i couldnt locate him

i stood back and waited to see if fox would bolt but after about 20 minutes nothing so i assumed he had dealt with the fox and headed off home he had a little scuff but nothing really all in all was an unexpected good afternoon

couple of pics of the dogs will get them uploaded asap

cheers john :thumbs:

• Like 1

sounds good fun pall beter than being sat at home :thumbs: !!

it was a good afternoon

and anything beats being sat at home with 4 screaming kids all fighting with each other :wallbash:

lol i would have been happy sitting in the snow in the garden but having dogs that hunt is better

:thumbs: cheers john

sounds good fun pall beter than being sat at home :thumbs: !!

it was a good afternoon

and anything beats being sat at home with 4 screaming kids all fighting with each other :wallbash:

lol i would have been happy sitting in the snow in the garden but having dogs that hunt is better

:thumbs: cheers john

:thumbs:

cant beat a nice mooch in woodland you never no what you going to flush :thumbs:

its not too often you get a fox to ground thats why it was unexpected but to get 2 to ground or maybe the one that bolted had went to ground again but all the same its rare to get one to ground here but its a good bit for the dogs to work the cover :thumbs:

happy days :thumbs: i was out myself and put 2 out of cover.glad you got your terrier back safe

cheers bud

getting the dog back safe was the best part i was suprised he came out at all cos since i entered him he has been dug out almost everytime hes been to ground and never has he been called out before so i was glad when he came as i said this pipe was totally undiggable and was made all that bit more undiggable with not being able to locate him and by the sounds of it he was well in the pipe if need be destroying the pipe was the only other option one of which i didnt want to use and thankfully didnt have to :thumbs: